Truck vs Car 8.25 Rear

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I just got done rebuilding my first axle, a 9.25 for my '85 D-150 and pulled the old 8.25 out. I wanted to save the ring and pinion out of the truck 8.25 and some other odds and ends like the adjusters etc. if they will fit a '70's car 8.25. I'm just not sure if Chrysler had changed anything in the rear by the 80's that would prevent parts from swapping.

Someone may come in and correct me on this but just as a general rule of thumb based on my limited knowledge of 8.25's... 2.9X and higher ratio's use 1 type of carrier while lower gear ratios (3.XX-4.XX.... etc) use another. Also, sometime in the 90s they switch spline count (27 spline? to 29 spline?). Not 100% sure on how universal the locking units are between all the years... Keeping all of that in mind, everything should swap back and fourth as long as you keep respective parts together. In your case I would say that as long as you don't have those highway gears, and don't swap parts with a rear end that is too new, you should be fine.

-
Back