True car people are becoming a thing of the past

-
How many parents bought their kid a new car back in the day? Pretty common now. The college parking lot is full of 85 to 100,00 dollar cars. Not much incentive to learn about or work on one of those!
I agree. But I came from small town/rural area and only kid that had a new car was the rich one or the ones that had an after school/weekend job and dad paid his insurance maybe. Most farm kids worked on dads tractors/equipment and on his car only if he had to do so as to not be afoot!

Each generation , in general can get softer/lazier and that is due to parents or technology.

I agree. But I came from small town/rural area and only kid that had a new car was the rich one or the ones that had an after school/weekend job and dad paid his insurance maybe. Most farm kids worked on dads tractors/equipment and on his car only if he had to do so as to not be afoot!

Each generation , in general can get softer/lazier and that is due to parents or technology.
Only kids that I grew up around with new cars were spoiled pukes who had no respect for anything because they never worked for anything. Most of us had cheap beaters that we paid for and kept on the road by working part time jobs after school.

Last edited:
I going to name drop here, but was talking/joking with Pat Reily with Miami Heat last year about our old cars, he has a very nice numerous collection of old hot rods, and we were joking what is going to become of them as we are similarly aged, and our kids don't want our prides and joy.
Sign of the times.

Well, I have 3 boys. Had my youngest (15) changing a master cylinder with me a couple days ago, and he liked it. My middle son (23) is involved in marine mechanics and changed a water pump on his Ram a couple weeks ago, and the oldest likes my Dusters too, but he always was heavily involved in sports and still is today. All three like the old cars!

How many parents bought their kid a new car back in the day? Pretty common now. The college parking lot is full of 85 to 100,00 dollar cars. Not much incentive to learn about or work on one of those!

when i was in high school in 1987 it depended what school you were at as to how many parents bought their kids cars.. my school (a Votech) mose had clapped out 60's and 70's cars that we worked on.. those that didn't do thei own wrenching drove used citations and crap like that.. now if you went by the high school i'd have gone to if i didn't go to votech the lot was full of new cars bought by mom and dad.. parents buying cars for their kids is nothing new. hell in another year i'll probably buy my daughter a car to drive.. i'd rather he concentrate on her greades, sports, sea cadets and working when she can... we keep her busy as hell and reliable cars ain't cheap any more.

I bought all my kids new moderate priced cars (GTI, Jetta TDI, Avenger) when they first started driving, as I kind of liked air bags, 5mph bumpers, radial tires, abs, 3 point seat belts, etc, all that my old cars did not have. I also took them to performance driving schools, with skid pads, etc, and made sure they got seat time in on track go karts, etc Do any of them want to wrench on cars, doesn't seem so, but it's their life, not mine.
But they all know how to drive a car.
We all can live with that.

I also took them to performance driving schools, with skid pads, etc, and made sure they got seat time in on track go karts, etc

now thats an awesome idea.. may have to find something like that when my daughter gets her license.. she is already a terror on gokarts and used to fling a quad around pretty well.

now thats an awesome idea.. may have to find something like that when my daughter gets her license.. she is already a terror on gokarts and used to fling a quad around pretty well.
They actually enjoyed it and often speak fondly of the experience and the peace of mind I have is immeasurable.

I going to name drop here, but was talking/joking with Pat Reily with Miami Heat last year about our old cars, he has a very nice numerous collection of old hot rods, and we were joking what is going to become of them as we are similarly aged, and our kids don't want our prides and joy.
Sign of the times.
Heck I am now 75 and I remember back in the 80s and 90s the Model T guys were aging out of the hobby. The cars and their owners/lovers were going the way of the dinaseur. (Computer can't spell CAT). Dying off and few younger guys with any real interest in that Model T. OK there is a lot of difference in the Model T and model A as far as making hotrods. But fast forward to today and look at what you can buy as a hotrod driver Model A and many driver cars of the 40s and 50s. Bargains compared to "muscle cars". There are bargains out there but not in the second gen. Charger and RoadRunner, Camaro, etc etc groups! So the younger guy looks to what he can afford and what HE WANTS. He does not rlat to 40s 50s cars or even Model A hotrods.

As I grew older, I learned that owning a "high end" car meant nothing me, I had already had most of them back when they were plentiful and cheap. I knew I enjoyed the hunt for the net project, the build, driving it some, then it was on to the next and sell the one I just built. Too bad seldom did it seldom make me a dime for my labor. An occasional quarter maybe. But I could not afford to buy the next without selling something! So I began to see the "art" in every model. The designer was always an artist, OR maybe sometimes a designer on drugs!!??/
Then I learned that getting that old slant running was about as fun as getting that 383 or 440 running. Cruising down the road in whatever was just plain FUN! Maybe slower than another but fun! As the 69 383 RoadRunner and second gen Charger projects kept getting silly expensive I looked toward cheaper models to build. I saw the beauty in design of whatever model, and realized IF I built a car that I had too many dollars in and too perfect, I would NOT drive it and therefore LOST part of the fun.

I admit thatI have now pretty much aged out of the hobby. But in th last 7-8 year, worthwhile projects that are actually worth their (asking) price have become rare here inTx. Cheaper projects alway in OK Ks Mo AR Ms etc but sorry project at best 95% of the time. Overpriced non drivers are, pretty much, NOT selling here. The price does not come down and they don't sell. A decent model (that is in demand) priced right (cheap) sells fast but those are rare! The fun is pretty much gone. I don't want to pay way more for a project than I feel it is worth and I don't want someone elses high pried (Cluster***).

as Freiburger always says.. its more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow.. :)
When driving my slant or my strait six Hornet fast is a "relative" term!! But would ya believe the Hornet is a little faster!!?

Love RoadKill Garage. FriedBurger an DullChic.. they are the MAN!! or is it MEN!!??/ :thumbsup:

It certainly feels like the old car scene here in Aus has been taken over by two subsets - wealthy collectors, and rust entrepeneurs or 'flippers'.
I do miss the old days where the forums were flat out with posts daily of people updating their project threads with real and gritty home workmanship.

I work in a factory of 350 people in a rural town, and there are only 2 other car/motorcycle guys that I know. It used to be 90% of people.

When I ask guys that built some cool rides before why they are not active today, they will reply:
Been there, done it.
Found other hobbies, they like better or not as expensive.
Wife.
Projects are too sorry and too high.
Costs too much for the project, the parts, no friends that want to help.
Kids have NO interest and wife hates these cars.
Bought a modern Challenger. Smells better and faster.
Bought a 65 Mustang, half the costs and parts are 40% less.
Done cars are overpriced crap and put together by an idiot.
Tired.
Have to work more today just to pay the bills.
Don't have 10 years to build another like the one I sold like a fool!
My parakeet died.

I just got fresh quotes for covering orange car; a local guy and an online quote from Hagerty. Neither one mentioned a mileage limit.I think that I can register the car a couple of different ways and then the state seems to say how many I can drive based on my plates/registration.
Lots of car nuts in east Texas and western Washington!

maybe thats depends on location.. i constantly get thumbs up, people ask about the car, yell nice car almost every time i take the dart out...

another thing. if i were between 15-20 why would i care about an old 60's or 70's car? i mean they really don't do anything well compared to modern muscle and i'd have no connection to them.. now a modern mustang,challenger camaro,corvette or any number of bad *** imports sll of which do everything better then 60's and 70's cars is where my heart would be. its what i'd have grown up with and what i'd set a goal of owning one day..
This is far more true than I think people give credit for. I grew up in the early 00s. Aside from the barracuda which I have a sentimental attachement to, I really don't care about cars from before like 96 and I think a lot of dudes my age feel the same way. We love cars that we grew up with which are "newer". I have a couple old cars that are cool that I'd love to own like a 66 impala or a 70 camaro but most of the cars I want are around my age or younger. A 91 ZR1, CTSV, Commodore (chevy SS, G8, Caprice), 300 srt, magnum srt8, E63 AMG, 96 Toyota Century, pontiac fiero etc. Those are the cars that I'm like Yesssss for. Also, apparently Chevys lol. I do really appreciate older cars for how easy they are to work on, but my interests are mostly about the newer ones. My next car is going to be a commodore or an E63 not an old one. Honestly project cars just require a huge time commitment or money neither of which I have raising 2 very young kids. Sim racing is cheap, has a one time build cost and provides me with ton's of driving on circuits I'll never be able to go to irl. If money were no object I'd have multiple projects but I don't.

You are right. We older car guys share some of the blame.
We engaged in too much gatekeeping and snobbery.
The amount of gigh dollar car guys who looked down their noses at the young kids with less "desireable" cars has always been a problem in this hobby.
I much prefer a young guy with something he is trying to build himself to the curmudgeon who cashed in his retirement to buy something all he ever does is polish.

But the culture has changed so drastically in every way imaginable the outcome would likely be the same even without the gatekeepers.

There was a guy here who had that attitude saying "old mopars aren't for young people." He had a yellow dart with QA1 suspension. People like him are part of the reason no one wants old cars. We're like fine, then **** you.

Last edited:
This is far more true than I think people give credit for. I grew up in the early 00s. Aside from the barracuda which I have a sentimental attachement to, I really don't care about cars from before like 96 and I think a lot of dudes my age feel the same way. We love cars that we grew up with which are "newer". I have a couple old cars that are cool that I'd love to own like a 66 impala or a 70 camaro but most of the cars I want are around my age or younger. A 91 ZR1, CTSV, Commodore (chevy SS, G8, Caprice), 300 srt, magnum srt8, E63 AMG, 96 Toyota Century, pontiac fiero etc. Those are the cars that I'm like Yesssss for. Also, apparently Chevys lol. I do really appreciate older cars for how easy they are to work on, but my interests are mostly about the newer ones. My next car is going to be a commodore or an E63 not an old one. Honestly project cars just require a huge time commitment or money neither of which I have raising 2 very young kids. Sim racing is cheap, has a one time build cost and provides me with ton's of driving on circuits I'll never be able to go to irl. If money were no object I'd have multiple projects but I don't.

There was a guy here who had that attitude saying "old mopars aren't for young people." He had a yellow dart with QA1 suspension. People like him are part of the reason no one wants old cars. We're like fine, then **** you.

I've thought about building a sim rig, it's very tempting. I always think about being able to put the money into my Duster though and I live about 2-3 hours from Road Atlanta which is one of my "dream tracks" to drive on.

For your second point, thankfully we have guys like Freiburger and Dulcich to offset that kind of gatekeeping ******** mentality. If they never did the whole Roadkill thing there would be FAR less young people getting into the hobby. I'm 32 and got my Duster when I was 16 before that show existed but it was a huge motivator for me to build my car the way I like, not to please the purist old-timers.

I've thought about building a sim rig, it's very tempting. I always think about being able to put the money into my Duster though and I live about 2-3 hours from Road Atlanta which is one of my "dream tracks" to drive on.

For your second point, thankfully we have guys like Freiburger and Dulcich to offset that kind of gatekeeping ******** mentality. If they never did the whole Roadkill thing there would be FAR less young people getting into the hobby. I'm 32 and got my Duster when I was 16 before that show existed but it was a huge motivator for me to build my car the way I like, not to please the purist old-timers.
Wow are you me lol? 32 and got the Cuda when I was 16 too. I honestly loved Roadkill until they took it off YouTube. It took me a while but thankfully my dad was supportive of me building the car I wanted and I changed his mind on a few things like wheel sizes and fuel injection. Ive also been to cars and coffee a couple times and it's a huge mix of cars and ages. Honestly old 60s cars are cool but there's so much awesome stuff out there that people are doing with every thing from 80s jap hatchbacks, and miatas to newer fiestas and mustangs that to limit yourself to one era and car style is kind of silly. I'm lucky enough to live only an hour away from Road America. Between forza 3, assetto corsa, and my Buell I probably have 5,000 miles on it lol

Wow are you me lol? 32 and got the Cuda when I was 16 too. I honestly loved Roadkill until they took it off YouTube. It took me a while but thankfully my dad was supportive of me building the car I wanted and I changed his mind on a few things like wheel sizes and fuel injection. Ive also been to cars and coffee a couple times and it's a huge mix of cars and ages. Honestly old 60s cars are cool but there's so much awesome stuff out there that people are doing with every thing from 80s jap hatchbacks, and miatas to newer fiestas and mustangs that to limit yourself to one era and car style is kind of silly. I'm lucky enough to live only an hour away from Road America. Between forza 3, assetto corsa, and my Buell I probably have 5,000 miles on it lol
Lol that's a neat coincidence. I guess it's a good thing in a way that I'm the "lone wolf" gearhead in my family, don't have a parent or any extended family that wrench on cars so I was able to choose my path freely. I was bummed when Roadkill was taken off YT but for a few years now I've been a much bigger fan of other Motor Trend shows like Roadkill Garage, Engine Masters and Hot Rod Garage. Worth the $5/month subscription fee for me as I'm not much into streaming the typical TV series and movies.

I'd like to expand my horizons a bit and get into a jap project at some point, maybe an RX-8 or NC Miata with a turbo Honda K swap. Seems like all the 80s and 90s RWD import stuff is in high demand and overpriced. My next daily driver I'm looking into is a W210 or W211 Mercedes with the OM606 or OM648 turbodiesel, those are very tuneable cars with a decent aftermarket and have the comfort and reliability I need for a daily. I'm about to get married though and will most likely be having kids in the next year or 2 (wife is same age as me and her bio clock is ticking) so I'm not exactly focusing much on taking on any new projects in the near future lol. I can only hope the market gets a little more "normal" over the next few years.

People cannot troubleshoot well due to oversimplification of most functions as a human. I am constantly telling people that I cannot help you if you do not put forth any effort. Effort is key facor...as Homer S said, "trying is the first step towards failure"

I am old and I thoroughly enjoy seeing anyone, young or old with a PASSION for anything. I believe the car gene is genetic. There is a difference between an interest and passsion. Anyone can develop an interest for anything, but I really think the passion comes naturally. Yes we all can learn and develop skills but a true desire to do, you are born with it. Many people stumble thru life and care less about anything, or maybe just drugs and boos??

I love reading Hemmngs Classic Cars mag although I have no interest to build or own 99% of them in that mag. Just a lot of good articles mostly about the owner and his car. Not just the car. I see the art, the wonder of most any car/ This A.M. I read an article about a resto shop that has been in business for probably 40 years, they are well known for their perfect restos of the Auburns, Deusenburgs, etc. the classis, and wins at Pebble Beach. The owner is aging out and his son is a practicing attorney that never was really into old cars and never pushed by his parents to be such. He started sweeping the floors in the shop at age 12. But the son has decided to quit his law practice and do what he really loves and that is take over the patents business. His passion was there all along!

When the writer asked the owner about the future of these really old cars his answer was, yes so many guys are aging out but there is a steady stream of much younger people that have the passion and the MEANS to be involved with these old cars.

I anyone has the passion, they will find a way to be involved with old cars, whatever cars, some part of it...... not everyone can build a hemi Cuda from scratch, skill or money...not everyone wants a hemi Cuda..but if a person has the passion, he will finda way to be involved with what his means and skills and passion present!

that was probably me. and it wasn't QA1 junk under my car..

i think you took what i said out of context.. i stand by what i said.. classic cars just aren't the place for young people. by young people i mean those in high school into their early 20's.. its not snobery or any of that bull ****.. its economics.. just doesn't make sense.. if thats what one wants, sure go ahead and buy that rusty old junk for stupid money and have to put tons into it to get it road worthy. or maybe daddy has a 60 year stash of parts for you to put it together..who knows it was intended to mean that it makes much more sense to buy more modern muscle. look at the more modern cars you can buy that aren't rust buckets that do everything better then classics at a fraction of the cost of classics. hell, most 4cyl and 6cyl cars of today out perform classic in just about every way, classics are just stupid money to play with. hell at 54 i'm not paying the stupid money they are selling classic muscle for these days.. in a few years when my daughter gets he license i'd totally steer her away from a 60's or 70's car.. we would be looking for the modern mustangs, challengers and camaros and probably a bunch of different imports. she can learn everything she could imagine working on those cars and be able to work on the typical daily driver too since she would have to lean about computer controlled cars...

that was probably me. and it wasn't QA1 junk under my car..

i think you took what i said out of context.. i stand by what i said.. classic cars just aren't the place for young people. by young people i mean those in high school into their early 20's.. its not snobery or any of that bull ****.. its economics.. just doesn't make sense.. if thats what one wants, sure go ahead and buy that rusty old junk for stupid money and have to put tons into it to get it road worthy. or maybe daddy has a 60 year stash of parts for you to put it together..who knows it was intended to mean that it makes much more sense to buy more modern muscle. look at the more modern cars you can buy that aren't rust buckets that do everything better then classics at a fraction of the cost of classics. hell, most 4cyl and 6cyl cars of today out perform classic in just about every way, classics are just stupid money to play with. hell at 54 i'm not paying the stupid money they are selling classic muscle for these days.. in a few years when my daughter gets he license i'd totally steer her away from a 60's or 70's car.. we would be looking for the modern mustangs, challengers and camaros and probably a bunch of different imports. she can learn everything she could imagine working on those cars and be able to work on the typical daily driver too since she would have to lean about computer controlled cars...

Makes sense but also, where there's a will, there's a way... I guess instead of dumping $20k+ over the course of 16 years into my A-body I could have saved that money and bought a nice 6-speed S550 Mustang GT. But I like building stuff myself and going off the beaten path. Buying an pre-packaged assortment of performance parts off AmericanMuscle.com or Late Model Restoration that have already been done by thousands of others doesn't excite me. My real passion is building engines and there's no way I could have afforded to rebuild and modify a Coyote, LS or G3 Hemi in my 20s like I did with old-school Mopar V8s. Well maybe an LS but who gives a **** lol, every bozo with no creativity builds those.

Sometimes modifying something from slow to fast is more satisfying than going from fast to faster. I'd rather build my 50-year-old Detroit iron to compete with a BMW 3-series than buy a BMW M3 that can beat both of them off the showroom floor.

Also one last point, I forget which model year it started but the EPA has made it illegal to modify factory ECM tunes and dealer warranty is also voided. So if your daughter wants to tune her modern car for more power she'll need to keep that in mind, at least if her car still has warranty and/or she lives in a place that does emissions testing.

Also one last point, I forget which model year it started but the EPA has made it illegal to modify factory ECM tunes and dealer warranty is also voided. So if your daughter wants to tune her modern car for more power she'll need to keep that in mind, at least if her car still has warranty and/or she lives in a place that does emissions testing.

we aren't talking new with warranty cars here. talking s197 types that are what 18 years old now.. my 08 mustang will still go through inspection with a tune on it here in nj. challeneger came out in what? 08-09? 15 yearish old. been imports over even a larger window.. plenty of mods that can be done to newer muscle that isn't run of the mill. just like classic muscle.

I guess instead of dumping $20k+ over the course of 16 years into my A-body
what did you pay for that thing 16 years ago.. the same car probably brings triple what you paid today and its not like a typical teenage job pays tripple what it did then. that starting buy in is the problem.. there are always excptions but look whay you have to pay for a rusty mess when if comes to classic cars. its not just the classic muscle anymore either its the run of the mill slant six no options cars bringing strong money. hell look at the 80's G-bodies.. they have gone nuts too.... one can buy a more modern car. no rusty POS, needing a few minor things for 5-10K and be driving it in a day...
like i said if thats what one whats to do then go for it.. there are the occassional great deal out there but they are becoming rarer and rarer these days. hell even the roadkill red duster with a bad slanty was something like 4K. no doubt that was a celebs price. doubtyou or me could have only paid 4k for that same car. like i said if a young person whants to get into classics (any brand) i'd advise against it (at that age) more for econimic reasons but thats not saying i wouldn't help them in any way i could. i'd just encourage them to buy something more affordable to work on and drive.

we aren't talking new with warranty cars here. talking s197 types that are what 18 years old now.. my 08 mustang will still go through inspection with a tune on it here in nj. challeneger came out in what? 08-09? 15 yearish old. been imports over even a larger window.. plenty of mods that can be done to newer muscle that isn't run of the mill. just like classic muscle.

what did you pay for that thing 16 years ago.. the same car probably brings triple what you paid today and its not like a typical teenage job pays tripple what it did then. that starting buy in is the problem.. there are always excptions but look whay you have to pay for a rusty mess when if comes to classic cars. its not just the classic muscle anymore either its the run of the mill slant six no options cars bringing strong money. hell look at the 80's G-bodies.. they have gone nuts too.... one can buy a more modern car. no rusty POS, needing a few minor things for 5-10K and be driving it in a day...
like i said if thats what one whats to do then go for it.. there are the occassional great deal out there but they are becoming rarer and rarer these days. hell even the roadkill red duster with a bad slanty was something like 4K. no doubt that was a celebs price. doubtyou or me could have only paid 4k for that same car. like i said if a young person whants to get into classics (any brand) i'd advise against it (at that age) more for econimic reasons but thats not saying i wouldn't help them in any way i could. i'd just encourage them to buy something more affordable to work on and drive.

Gotcha, that's true then and won't be an issue.

And also true, the buy-in isn't what it used to be. I got my Duster for $3k; solid rust-free from Cali, bone stock 318 auto old lady car. Now the same car would probably be worth $6-8k.

Reminds me I need to grab a late B-body before those get stupid in price too. Or maybe I'll just forget Mopars altogether and grab a 70s Buick sled with a 455.

-
Back