True Trac Diff??

-

440dartsport

Reaction score
Anyone running a Detroit True Trac diff in the 8 3/4 or Dana's? I'm ordering a new Strange 60 and looking for recommendations on what diff to use. I'm leaning torwards the true trac but I want to make sure that it will be strong enough for 750hp and a 4 speed. Likes or dislikes???

I just bolted one under my new project car and can't wait to have a driveshaft so I can play. I've read about this all gear diff several times for some years now and wanted one because there's no clutches or cones and it uses just plain old 80-90wt dino juice. To me that says efficiency and simplicity. Handle 750 hp and gear slammin'?? I don't know so I'll quit clutterin' up your thread. I hope someone has the answers you're looking for.

ATB

BC

I have one in my Strange 60. I am only planning on running 500 hp to it through an automatic, so I can't vouch for it's strength. So far I can't tell that it's any different than any other third member. It did sound a little different when we turned the pinion. You could hear the gears meshing, but that's about it. Dr. Diff said it would be a good upgrade and that I could pretty much forget about my rear end afterwards...

if it's race only you want a spool

the sure grip is a nice second choice.

that is a LOT of power. the rear should be able to handle the power if the car is lightened.

your 4-speed is going to suffer harshly, you may want to keep extras around ... at 700+ you should be looking at g force or lenco trannys

I was considering a spool but It's 95% street car. I would however like to maybe run a set of stickier tires at the track some time and don't want to worry about it coming apart....
The trans is an 18 spline hemi 4 speed with cryo treated internals from liberty. I know it's probably still the weak link but I think it should be ok as long as I'm not launching it at the track every weekend with slicks.

Definitely superior to the trac lok or other clutch type traction unit. A spool is ideal, but questionable on the street, and opinions vary widely on the safety and axle reliability for their street use.

I replaced my trak lok with trashed clutches, on 40 or so runs (!) with a truetrack from Detroit Locker. Everyone I spoke to suggested it was second only to the spool in evenly splitting the torque at the track, and they a very reliable, though expensive. I had it installed, and it works great on the street, but have not had it to the strip yet, closed season and all.

I bought one from dr diff a year ago. Since then it has seen 5000 rpm launches on a stick shift car with 500 hp and survived two days of widethe open driving at watkins glen. It hooks on launch but also puts the power down through the turns. My old sure grip would try to spin the car out.

4 Tru Tracs in service. 1 in a Dana 60, 580tq w/a 4sp in a heavy E body and they are fine.

No. Tru Trak is a differential that uses no clutches, only gears.
No special fluids, just straight dino juice

ATB

BC

-
Back