Trunk Mat

-

ajarofclay

Reaction score
I think this is probably the correct place to post this so Here goes...I tossed my trunk mat YEARS ago just because it was all stained and nasty. Was going to buy another but I see Classic offers a few choices. Is there a certain style that would have come in a 72 Demon 340 or was it just random? They offer herringbone, houndstooth and plaid. Also, the offer all 3 in rubber or vinyl. I'm thinking the original was vinyl because I seem to remember it being rigid and kinked up. The vinyl is almost half the price which is good, but I would prefer whatever is original the the factory build so that's what I prefer if anyone knows the stock quality. Thanks in advance as always.

Get the rubber one as it‘s thicker which is the style that originally came in the car. I had that decision to make about 8 years ago and am glad I went with the rubber one. It was made by REM. Those vinyl ones look ok but it’s always going to have wrinkles in it.

Yeah, I wasn't sure. I just thought I recollected that it may have been vinyl because it head Folds and kinks in it that were very rigid and didn't just fall out

I got one from classic industries and it looks great but I am disappointed in that the cut out for the trunk lock sheet metal was cut about 1-1/2 inches too far to the left. I had to slide the mat all the way to the right and still cut more material out on the right side of the cut-out. Hopefully mine was a one off mistake.

Yes there are different patterns for different years. Try Classics or YearOne's Catalog to see what's right for your year. Google 72 trunks and see what pattern was on original cars

They both list and sell all three patterns for my particular car but don't really note what was actually the factory design

I got one from classic industries and it looks great but I am disappointed in that the cut out for the trunk lock sheet metal was cut about 1-1/2 inches too far to the left. I had to slide the mat all the way to the right and still cut more material out on the right side of the cut-out. Hopefully mine was a one off mistake.
I think I would have sent it back.

Trunk mat patterns were by locatin where the car was made & available materials at the time. Any particular pattern is correct

looking at some samples, I was really thinking it was Herringbone that I had. I went on Legendary's site and that's the lone one they show for that year so I'm going with that. Thanks for all the input.

-
Back