Trying to install a stereo

-

SkaggsMan

Reaction score
Greeting A bodies,

I am trying to install a newer stereo system in my 65 dart, so here is my game plan.

1st Switch the Voltage regulator from the 6V stock to a 12V.
" so i don't fry anything (or vise versa)

Then I umm, yeah.

I have seen the older radio sets were the wires connect in the back. But this newer ones have all these plug and play sockets and whatnot in the back. When I look in my open consel were a radio should be I have my antenna cable and a wad of multi colored wires.

Has anyone installed a newer radio to there old mopar before?
A walkthrough or step by step instructions would be great.

Im just sticking to the speakers in the back and the ones under the dash.
I don't need a subs or amps, or TV screens and all that jazz.

Need to go down the street rockin out knowing "thats right im bad" :glasses7:

The short answer is, you need a GOOD wiring diagram for your car, and you really should buy either a reprint (paper) or a CD version of it. I mean Chrysler, not Haynes or Chilton, etc

But you can download a 66 manual on the site 'fer free, which might be close enough. The page numbers do not follow the original, so you'll have to play with 'em a little to find stuff

66 manual in this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

the link

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1966_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Wiring index is page 289 in my browser

Valiant / Cuda stuff starts page 302

1st Switch the Voltage regulator from the 6V stock to a 12V

?????.....Your '65 is already 12V, neg ground. Nuthin' to change there.

Your current dash harness "should" have a radio power wire there already, so you can use it for juice, then just wire the speakers like the stereo's instructions say.

?????.....Your '65 is already 12V, neg ground. Nuthin' to change there.

Your current dash harness "should" have a radio power wire there already, so you can use it for juice, then just wire the speakers like the stereo's instructions say.

That's what I was thinking, but what do you use for the memory or illumination? Is the original radio power wire an ignition on wire, or does it have constant power? Just curious because the though has crossed my mind for my Scamp.

That's what I was thinking, but what do you use for the memory or illumination? Is the original radio power wire an ignition on wire, or does it have constant power? Just curious because the though has crossed my mind for my Scamp.

Illumination - the orig radio used the dash lighting circuit for illumination...that wire should be there as well. Depends on your stereo...it may only illuminate when it's power is on.

Memory...this needs a constant 12+V. You could jump into the cig lighter circuit, as this is constant 12+V.

Look for a 2-wire connector. Yellow and red I think. That will supply you with ACC and instrument light power. For the clock you'll need BATT power which can be taken from the back of the ammeter.

Red and orange, C130. Red is switched 12V for the radio, orange is dimmer controlled dash lighting.

There is also a hot buss in the fuse block, you could add a small fused wire (inline fuse) for the memory.

-
Back