Trying to understand these front seat belts.

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I do not understand these front seat belts in this 1974 Scamp, they pull out from the re tractors but the shoulder belts just seem like they are not long enough for me to buckle up the lap belt. Even if I pull both re tractors all the way out I would be able to fasten the lap belt but the shoulder belt part of it just is not long enough and stops me from fastening the lap belt.. I have the seat back all the way and still not enough room. This is a bucket seat car with a buddy seat, all the seat belts look the same and have the same design on the lock release button so I don't think any of them were changed out, but you never know. Here are some older pictures of the belts that I am dealing with, if anyone has had a problem like this or even an answer for me please chime in.
Thanks
Bob

006.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

I don't think any of them were changed out

Your hinge covers & buttons are from 1970 - early 1971 bucket seats.

Hard to say what is under the custom covers without a peak inside.

No buddy seat available for your make & model from the factory either, so they may have been added along with the custom covers.

Mystery of the short seat belt solved. I measured the drivers side shoulder belt, then the passenger side belt and found out that the drivers side was 10" shorter than the passenger side shoulder belt. I took the drivers side seat belts out and went to a auto interior business that is close to me to have them re-strap the shoulder belt. The guy called me and told me that at one time the belt was ripped and someone just cut out the ripped part, looped the other end around the buckle and sowed it back together. Now that it has been re-strapped it fit's just fine.

-
Back