T'Stat Housing ?

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After reading alot of info here, I have decided not to use a chrome thermostat housing on the intake manifold of my 340. Would rather not deal with the leaks and all.......

My question is if the cast iron style is still available from the dealer new? Or do I need to dig around for a good used one.

As always, your input is much appreciated. :cheers:

I think I bought mine last year from "The Paddock"
(unfortunately, it does say "made in china" on it)
It looks original, and I've had no leaks, or other problems.

Look on Ebay and see if you can find one of the original Mopar aluminum housings. You can usually pick them up for 15-20 dollars and they`re good for years. I suffered through the same pains with the chrome housing leaking. I think Mancini was actually giving them away when you`d buy a water pump or something like that.

Why do the chrome ones leak ? Were they chrome plated on the mating surface ? That would explain it.

My chrome one never leaked, but it never did "look" right.

DSCN0104 (Small).JPG

I have 2 chrome ones that I could use, but I've read a few threads here on FABO saying they leak. Of course, I can't find that info now.........

I thought I'd save some trouble and put an original back on the intake just to be on the safe side. Hate to have a freshly painted engine leak coolant all over just for the sake of the chrome look.....

Longgone, I thought the originals were cast iron, not cast aluminum? School me on this one please.

6pk, you can give the chrome housing a go and you may be one of the lucky ones. If you opt out of that choice, the aluminum OEM piece is Mopar Part no. 2780970, started showing up in 1967 on both big block and small block applications. I have the Mopar housing on both of my smallblocks and the big block and have had zero issues with any of them.

Mancini Racing sells a billet aluminum housing that I`ve heard is a piece of art. That may be another alternative.

The base has been reshaped from it`s diamond shape and made more into the symbol for hurricanes, but other than cosmetics I don`t think there`s any difference.

I looked at the Mancini site earlier when Longgone mentioned it, but did not find a listing for the billet style, only chrome. I'll look again.

Thanks all for your help. FABO is great. 8)

The chrome ones leak because the sealant has nothing to grip onto and squeezes out. If you lay a piece of sandpaper flat on the floor and slide the housing over it to put some scratches it will give it some tooth to hold onto. And make sure you use a gasket.

the water neck from mancini works great,,looks nice also,,if you headed to carlisle,,,expecting to buy one from mancini,,ide call them first,, they dont bring any small items to sell,,only big buck stuff,,

Had to run my chrome one on a file to remove the plating and score it, and it dont leak anymore!

I've used 2 chrome ones and neither leaked. Not sure if they make them for Mopars but if you can find one of the chrome ones with a O ring in it for the seal their the best cause you don't have to mess with a gasket or silicone.

I've used 2 chrome ones and neither leaked. Not sure if they make them for Mopars but if you can find one of the chrome ones with a O ring in it for the seal their the best cause you don't have to mess with a gasket or silicone.

The chrome O-ring style is the one I was going to use until I read the FABO threads.........Maybe will reconsider......Can I use without a gasket or silicone?
The O-ring is there, but kinda been on the shelf awhile.....looks OK though.

Again,,,,,,,Thanks FABO....

The chrome O-ring style is the one I was going to use until I read the FABO threads.........Maybe will reconsider......Can I use without a gasket or silicone?
The O-ring is there, but kinda been on the shelf awhile.....looks OK though.

Again,,,,,,,Thanks FABO....

I'm not positive but I thought the other guys were talking about the kind that don't have an O-ring but uses a stock gasket. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) I haven't had good luck with them either. The O-ring type is all I ever use anymore.

The O-ring replaces the gasket and sealer that you usually use so the answer to your question is don't use a gasket or sealer with the O-ring. They make a special type of lube for O-rings. It's the same stuff used for transmission assy. I've even used a thin layer of grease with good luck. Just needs something to lube it because metals expands and contracts when heating up and cooling down and that causes movement with the O-ring which scuffs and wears on it if installed dry.

If your O-ring is kinda dry and not very pliable replace it. If it's still soft feeling it'll be fine.

My experience was with the non O-ring chrome housing.

Longgone....Thank you so much for your input......I have found the billit one you showed me from Mancini, but not really wanting to spend the $$$ at this time for that detail. I know how many $$ it costs to make it look good.

I think all the ones that I've seen for sale are the non O-ring type. Maybe that's what I've missed in the threads........I may use the one I have with the O-ring.. :cheers:

-
Back