Tuff go at Sac Raceway

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Well drove the couple hours to Sacramento Raceway last night to participate in the Grudgefest, or really to do a test and tune for me and watch the Grudgefest. Well after sweating my@$$ off due to the heat, I get up to the line for my first pass. Staging is good, temp good, pressure good, Scotty we are cleared for lift off. Come off the line, car seems to dig a lot better than it has, (slip shows 1.77 @ 60), first gear goes a little long, second goes and then BLAAPPPPPEDEDEDDEED. Let up, look at pressure, all good, so figure must have enhanced the #8 exhaust leak I have been dealing with, get back into it, realize power is short?? WTF - make it to 3rd, then finish up the pass: 13:30 - definitely nothing to write mom about. Get back to pits take a look at the carnage - Broken #3 plug??? Quick decision to OReillys, loose out spot to the lookie-loos (Wedged my 2500 and rented trailer next to a Preious to reclaim my turf, don't think they where too impressed, but different story), back and ready for "LIVE ACTION!!"

Well - Just a side note, been fighting a heat problem since the beginning of this adrenaline exercise. (Hi my names Charles and I have an adrenaline junky issue - To old to fight in far off lands and too beat up from past fights, cant jump out of airplanes, and cant have a harem of crazy girlfriends, wife really frowns on that one, and she wont let me own a motorcycle, I'm like a teenager, no off button) SO -

Get fired up, back on the line and notice temp crawling past 200!!!?? Luckily someone has issues on the line and we have a track break, so I get her cooled down, night time comes and then we are rolling again. Back on the line - go up for staging, guy next to me is having problems so we are going slow, notice temp crawling - 200, 210, - DUDE HURRY UP and stage your CHEVY, finally after him rolling threw the tree twice we are up , now at 225, OH CRAP - can I do it????? well kinda committed now 230, off we go... I just needed to get air flow, almost red lighted just to get going.

Well temp gauge hits 240 - then rolls back to a more reasonable 220, 2nd, - power drop, valve train noise - CRAP make it through the gate, grab slip back to pit rattling like a bucket of bolts. Get back, she smells real warm (pull your mind out of the gutter), take a look - look at passenger side and notice a bit of a fluid mist covering the car, pop the cap - NO FLUID?????? HMM, OH LOOK MOM, no freeze plug, how long have we been missing that piece of quality assurance? Load up and off to home - will let you know what other carnage we have.

But - I had fun - stay posted

Attachments

• Plug.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 274
Thanks mopardude, Figure we get there, however:

A bit of an update, pulled the covers, nothing visible, it fired and moved into the garage to get worked on. Figured I will pull then engine and do a check, I am thinking the block got pretty darn hot. Plus have you ever tried to get to the freeze plug below the #4/6 on a BB A body??? Plus I have a few leaks, want to change from power to a manual box and I will send the head for a checkup

Well bob, was one of my concerns as well. Took a large assumption it blew out

-
Back