Tuff stuff alternators. Use standard pulleys?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
I just bought and installed a 100 amp tuff stuff alternator and ran into a snag. I ordered the single pulley and i need the double pulley so the belt doesn't rub on my water pump.

Does anyone know if they use standard mopar pulleys?(alternator is the version that looks like a squareback)

I am running a Tuff Stuff 100 amp w/single pulley and it fits just fine. Make sure when it is installed that the spacer is on the block side of the alternator, not the bracket side otherwise it will not line up with the water pump. I think that is your issue because I had the same problem! If you are not sure which spacer, post a pic of your setup and I will help you out. Hope this helps!

I just bought and installed a 100 amp tuff stuff alternator and ran into a snag. I ordered the single pulley and i need the double pulley so the belt doesn't rub on my water pump.

Does anyone know if they use standard mopar pulleys?(alternator is the version that looks like a squareback)

I'll get a picture on friday when i see the car next. Though i think we may have different pulleys. My previous setup(the massive 100 amp heavy as hell alternator) never had its belt go around the water pump pulley.

One belt go alt-to crank and then the other belt goes from crank to water pump & power steering pump.

The problem its having is that with full tension(still seems like it has too much slack), the upper part of the belt rubs the lower part of the water pump neck. It *looks* like if i went 1 pulley out, the belt would not rub.

Ok, I will also post a pic of my setup as well.

I'll get a picture on friday when i see the car next. Though i think we may have different pulleys. My previous setup(the massive 100 amp heavy as hell alternator) never had its belt go around the water pump pulley.

One belt go alt-to crank and then the other belt goes from crank to water pump & power steering pump.

The problem its having is that with full tension(still seems like it has too much slack), the upper part of the belt rubs the lower part of the water pump neck. It *looks* like if i went 1 pulley out, the belt would not rub.

Here is a pic of my setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 185
That's what i thought, we have different pulleys. According to some research, it looks like i have A/C pulley which need the double groove pulley on the alternator. Luckily Summit has a decent return option. I'm gonna send out alternator tomorrow and re-order when i can.

Here is the pic of my setup:

Attachments

• 20140418_154037.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 165
-
Back