tune up advice

-

matty wardle

mopar dedicated
Reaction score
Hi just got my 451 in and running,want some tuning advice,the cam is hydraulic comp 285hl,...241,247 @ 50,with ported stealths,with an msd ready to run,have a light blue and light silver springs in dizzy(2nd quickest setup there is)engine is 10.25 to 1 compression with full tti headers and 3 inch system,i run it on 98 premium and octane booster............thoughts on initial and total timing,at the moment i have the 21 degree advance stop bushing in.....thanks in advance matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 451 engine bay.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 286
You may need a bushing that allows more initial than what MSD provides.

I'd run initial in the 18-22 range.

If you need a different bushing, I have 10 and 14* pieces for the MSD's

I use the 21 deg setup. 14 initial, 35 total. Runs great. All in about 3500.

DOn't get caught up in the fast curve. and don't depend on 98 octane. Tune it to run on premium pump gas under all conditions.

carckedback is your huckleberry.

On a side note, VERY nice lookin engine, matty!

I time stock 318-2 barrels with 13 initial. How much cam do they have?

That's not a good initial timing point for this engine unless you like soft crappy low/off idle performance and gassing out the neighborhood with stinky exhaust. It also causes tuning issues elsewhere in the throttle opening/rpm ranges.

Simple test, if you grab the distributor at idle, twist it clockwise and it picks up RPM... IT WANTS THE TIMING! PERIOD - end of story

ScampTramp gave you a decent initial/total range as well.

Seems people ask for advice around here and only take advice they want to read.

Ask younggun2.0 whether you have enough initial or if my advice is flawed. I believe his engine ran crappy and doughy before... I bet your engine cranks over a bunch before starting or you need to give it pedal to fire. Both are symptoms of not enough initial timing. It should fire at the flick of the key. if it doesn't, it not right.

Last I checked there is not ONE comment regarding how fast the curve should come in. The springs you are running for advance curve should be fine, I run almost every engine with that combo, light silver and blue. Ideally you want full advance prior to the converter flash point.

I'd put the black bushing on it and time it with 18 initial and see if that cleans up some of the pillsbury!

Pillsbury-Doughboy.jpg

-
Back