turbo AR

-
I just spotted you're a Kiwi too Andy.
What part of NZ do you call home?

hey Valvebounce....i'm in Stratford, Taranaki. too bloody cold for the shed after work at the mo, so weekends only. things mental at work.

turbos seem to me to be a fickled thing. too big, too small, the price was good so there you have it. will work around any issues as they come up.

getting my head around the MSD6530 will be my next biggest headache.
converter from PTC arrives tomorrow, short block assembled. heads will be a while now as the valves I got from Mancini had one random valve that was not supposed to be there. waiting to see what they are going to do about that.

will start a build thread when I get more time.

Attachments

• IMG_20140420_120042.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20140510_113507.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 253
Holy hell that is one big snail!!!! I look forward to hearing how it goes.
I concur about the cold too. Worst time of year to spend time in the shed..........

So you ended up going the s475? What flange and a/r? It'll really make it get up and go..

Regarding fuel return, if going blow through you will need 1/2" minimum or you won't be able to get the pressure low enough, speaking from experience.

I've had some experience with the 6530.. Shoot me some questions if you get stuck

Awesome work.. Mine has gone a different direction, turbos are the flavour of the month :)

hey Wardy.....yeah the 475 was too good of a deal to turn down. it's t6 flange and 1.32 ar. hoping the 6530 will help with lag off the line. gave PTC all the info and ended up at 3800 stall.
the turbo seen has certainly taken off with a vengeance all right, but some how I don't see disappointment being a option.

Valiantap6....Clint on the NZ Mopar Forum has a turbo 318. I have a msd btm spare if you need one.

Attachments

• IMG_20140418_151046.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 228
So you ended up going the s475? What flange and a/r? It'll really make it get up and go..

Regarding fuel return, if going blow through you will need 1/2" minimum or you won't be able to get the pressure low enough, speaking from experience.

I've had some experience with the 6530.. Shoot me some questions if you get stuck

Awesome work.. Mine has gone a different direction, turbos are the flavour of the month :)

[URL="http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s43/wardy510/15011A69-7E4D-497D-ADE1-6937451FB619_zpsx6voualw.jpg"][/URL]

**** Wardy, and I thought I couldn't make up my mind. see a hemi in there now.

[URL="http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s43/wardy510/15011A69-7E4D-497D-ADE1-6937451FB619_zpsx6voualw.jpg"][/URL]
when you say 1/2" min return or won't get fuel pressure low enough, I get that the smaller return will be the restriction, but what pressure should it be.

when you say 1/2" min return or won't get fuel pressure low enough, I get that the smaller return will be the restriction, but what pressure should it be.

Basically with a blow through turbo setup you need to run a high pressure efi pump, and an appropriate regulator and return to get the pressure low enough. I usually run 4psi pressure at idle

Your reg should be boost referenced and will increase fuel pressure at a 1:1 ratio with boost.

Because the pump flows WAY more pressure then 4psi you can see why a large return is important

have all that from my vortech setup. will go 1/2 return. bosch 44 pump bloody noisy so maybe a couple of walbro 392's.

Ah cool well your pretty much sorted.. But yeh definately go with the 1/2" return.

I reckon you would max out a 044 with what you are building. I'm also a fan of single pump setups.. Rather then have one pump fail and run the engine lean. I like the a1000 pumps for the performance and value. Pretty noisy though

was thinking bout putting one of the pumps on a hobbs switch to come on at say 4-5 psi of boost.

what tyre size gear ratio would you reckon for street/strip. I understand turbos love load? have 295/50/15 Toyo Proxis up back and 3.5 gears at the mo. 9" diff, home made caltracs

Yeh you could do that also, but can still run the risk of the 2nd pump failing and starving under boost. Not a big chance of it happening.. But it can.

Your rear gear is fine, I wouldn't change it. I'm running 275/60 et streets, glide, and 3.0:1 rear gear 9" to start. I have a few gear sets here if it doesn't respond well. Turbos definately love load.. Know a few guys running around 2.75 rear gear

I'd leave it and see where it takes you, after all, it's already fitted and ready to go.. Your setup shouldn't have much trouble pushing you into 130-140mph territory.

-
Back