Turbocharged Desoto hemi for 67 Valiant

-
I'm helping a buddy with his 64 Valiant wagon with 241 hemi. He grafted on a set of 2-door sides and added a 64 Barracuda grill. Hot Heads provided a lot.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 726
That is a work of ART!!!
Here's another shot. I took the intake and modified it to accept 4-bolt GM carbs. Using a boring bar it was opened for the larger throttle bores. I also lowered it for hood clearance. He tried putting on the 904 trans only to discover that the Hot Heads adapter only works with the 727. He did snag a cable operated trans and will try firing it up this weekend.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 641
  • 007.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 624
  • 008.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 636
I hope I live long enough to see this run...............

Lordie. THIS is the kind of talent I wished I had
Pulled the motor apart today to change cams. Here's a better shot of the finished timing cover.

Attachments

• hemi heads 001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 600
  • hemi heads 002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 596
  • hemi heads 003.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 600
Here's another shot. I took the intake and modified it to accept 4-bolt GM carbs. Using a boring bar it was opened for the larger throttle bores. I also lowered it for hood clearance. He tried putting on the 904 trans only to discover that the Hot Heads adapter only works with the 727. He did snag a cable operated trans and will try firing it up this weekend.

I have a trans adapter on my 241 for a 904, i dont know where mine came from,,,either hot heads tr waters or wilcap,,,they are out there

crazy koool timing cover for sure
If you look at the cover, you'll see a brass tube and aluminum block. I modified a 340 gear drive to fit this motor. There was no longer any room for the oil splash plate that is used with the timing chain setup, so I made an oiler for the idler gear bearing instead. The oil will squirt through an .020" nozzle onto the idler bearing to insure the bearing stays lubed. The bearing is not flush with the gear surfaces and sits completely out of the way of any oiling. Any oil that does get on the gears will be slung off and away from the bearing. The oil will be supplied off a tee in the oil line going to the driver side turbo.

Wow, all I can say is... WOW!! 56 Year old Mopar engine, (hemi that is) boasting twin turbos and no doubt putting out mega HP! Wow!!

Wow, all I can say is... WOW!! 56 Year old Mopar engine, (hemi that is) boasting twin turbos and no doubt putting out mega HP! Wow!!

Thanks. Unfortunately the machine shop has set me back a bit. I have the engine tore down to the bare block now. Cam bearings were put in bad and there was metal in the motor. Have had to put goodies on Ebay to raise cash to put it back together. Was having motor work done at Doc's Engine and Machine. A friend talked me into using her brother's shop. Big mistake that won't happen again! Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it. Bill

Pulled the motor apart today to change cams. Here's a better shot of the finished timing cover.
Here's a better shot of the timing cover. Notice that 2 of the bolts that hold the cover are recessed under the gasket surface and that 2 of the 318 water pump will clear. Also an oiler for the gear drive. It is for a 340, but just a little modification down near the bottom of the block was all that was needed to work. The bottom of the bracket had to have a little material removed to be flush with the bottom of the block, and a 5/16"-18 hole drilled and tapped inn the same region. The oiler will keep the idler bearing lubed. It sits in away from the face of the gears and I'm a little concerned that it will run dry or close to it anyway. The oiler has an .039" hole and should do the job.

Attachments

• timing cover oiling 001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 446
  • timing cover oiling 002.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 452
  • timing cover oiling 004.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 443
HOLY freekin early hemi, Batman!!!!

Isn't 10:1 a little much?

Where do the plug wires go?
They go to the mag which is not installed yet. The advance is welded shut and timing will be controlled by the Megasquirt. The only thing in the mag now is the coil and rotor. The ignition is an MSD setup driving the coil. Here's a little better explanation I think at youtube. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrnlUsxls4"]Bill's Desoto 341 hemi part 5 - YouTube[/ame]

THAT is so awesome and you make it sound so simple.........."All I have to do now is........"

Can you comment on how the injectors are retained in the manifold and caps? All I've ever seen, they are sandwiched between the bolted on fuel rails and the manifold.

Yeah, isn't the boost going to blow the injectors out of the manifold or did I miss something?

It looks to me like the wastegates installed incorrectly? Exhaust pressure should go in the bottom against the valve head. It looks to me like the exhaust is plumbed into the side. Hard to tell in the vid.

It looks to me like the wastegates installed incorrectly? Exhaust pressure should go in the bottom against the valve head. It looks to me like the exhaust is plumbed into the side. Hard to tell in the vid.
I was just mocking up the hoses and cutting them to length then. I had to tear down the motor completely to do some machine work in the block. The roller lifters were too short to reach the cam, so I ended up milling down the top of the lifter galleries to clear the lifter crossbars.

-
Back