Turn signals don't work

-

67redcudavert

Reaction score
My turn signals quit working. I didn't drive the car much last year but they did work then. This year they don't work. The brake lights do work. I figured maybe the flasher crapped out.

I pulled the dash cluster out to look for it and don't see it anywhere. I found a square one that has three wires connected to it. According to the shop manual that one is for the hazard flashers.

Also the factory 67 shop manual I have does not have anything about Barracudas in there. I'm been looking at the Valiant schematics for any electrical problems or questions and so far it's been a match to my 67 Barracuda and helped me through anything I was trying to do.

Is the flasher hidden in some out of the way spot? Looking for suggestions on what might be going on here.

When the turn signal lever is actuated, does the corresponding bulb at least light up (get brighter), when in maintained position?

Front and back..?

Signal light cam may have corroded or something and because of that its not getting a good connection.

There is a fuse for the signals. The flasher for the signals is on the right side of the dash ash tray hanger. You can to it from underneath ( eye protection ) or remove the screws that hold the glove box liner and move it away toward the heater case and reach in. This is definitely the best route to the flasher when the car has a/c.

Thank you Redfish, I was able to find the flasher. I was able to verify that there is power to the flasher. I measured the resistance of the flasher and got a reading of 0.0. Does this mean the flasher is OK or is it screwed up? It would seem to me that with no resistance that power would be going through it, so something further down the line must be screwed up.

Thank you Redfish, I was able to find the flasher. I was able to verify that there is power to the flasher. I measured the resistance of the flasher and got a reading of 0.0. Does this mean the flasher is OK or is it screwed up? It would seem to me that with no resistance that power would be going through it, so something further down the line must be screwed up.

The flashers contacts would be closed until heat from load causes it to open. No load equals no workie. Looking more like the signal switch in the column all the time.
And by the way.. The lamps in the inst' wouldn't work if that panel isn't grounded. If it's still dangling from the harness connectors it isn't grounded.

My problem was the turn signal switch. I put in a new one and now they work. The flasher is OK, works fine. I got the switch from Year One, it works but I'm not real impressed with it, mediocre quality. Does anybody else offer them?

I understand about needing the ground wire for the inst. panel to work, I learned about that quite a while back on a different vehicle. I pulled the panel out entirely to make it easier to search for the problem, I would not leave it hanging from the wires. To be able to power up I fastened the amp gauge leads together.

My turn signals quit working. I didn't drive the car much last year but they did work then. This year they don't work. The brake lights do work. I figured maybe the flasher crapped out.

I pulled the dash cluster out to look for it and don't see it anywhere. I found a square one that has three wires connected to it. According to the shop manual that one is for the hazard flashers.

Also the factory 67 shop manual I have does not have anything about Barracudas in there. I'm been looking at the Valiant schematics for any electrical problems or questions and so far it's been a match to my 67 Barracuda and helped me through anything I was trying to do.

Is the flasher hidden in some out of the way spot? Looking for suggestions on what might be going on here.

Attachments

• HAND SIGNALS.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 168
Yes, I remember being taught hand signals in driver's ed back in '66. Can't say I've seen anybody use them lately, not even motorcycles since they have turn signals these days.

-
Back