Turn signals not working.

-

72dusterjunk

Reaction score
I have a 72 duster 318. The cars turn signals stopped working seemingly when a bulb was broken for the rear tail light. However through trouble shooting I have some instances to present. First, I have hot going into the 4 way flasher at all times, dimmer on the out wire. Second I found a bulb next to the 4 way flasher button on the column to be black and blown out. Third,with the brake pedal applied when I turn the turn signal on for the according light, the brake light for said circuit will turn off but no flashing will occur. I believe that is correct for the brake circuit? Fourth, I don't believe my front signals even worked when the rest of it worked? Fifth, at one point my fuel gauge worked irradically, but no dash lights or gauges currently work. (Speedo just does not have the cable in currently. We'll get there on that) i considered changing the temp amp and fuel to after market electrical anyway. I'm really just looking for some absolute guidance on this situation cause I'm a bit lost. Any suggestions of where i myself fudged up and am not thinking correctly? Or where I should test next?

OK, go to MyMopar (if you have not) and download the closest factory shop manual for the car, then hit the "wiring" button there and get the aftermarket diagrams, which are 'sometimes' easier to follow

Next look up the TS column switch connector so you can identify wire colors. Here is what goes in and out of the switch

IN:

1...Main flasher power, which is hot only with key in "run."
2...Hazard flasher power, hot at all times
3....Brake light switch output, hot with brake depressed

OUT:
Left rear turn/ stop
Right rear turn/ stop

Left front turn
Right front turn

Look up the colors to match those, I don't bother to memorize them. Probe the switch connector and or access the left kick panel connector for the rear harness.

Switch centered, both rear turn should show power with brake depressed
switch left or right should kill brake power to the appropriate rear lamp

With key "on" try both turn, re-check turn flasher power. If you have power out of the flasher / into the TS switch, and no flashers, it's either the switch or bulbs

Next pull ALL the bulbs, inspect, clean etc. Re-install all but one, and with that turn engaged, probe the socket to see if you have flasher power

T
OK, go to MyMopar (if you have not) and download the closest factory shop manual for the car, then hit the "wiring" button there and get the aftermarket diagrams, which are 'sometimes' easier to follow

Next look up the TS column switch connector so you can identify wire colors. Here is what goes in and out of the switch

IN:

1...Main flasher power, which is hot only with key in "run."
2...Hazard flasher power, hot at all times
3....Brake light switch output, hot with brake depressed

OUT:
Left rear turn/ stop
Right rear turn/ stop

Left front turn
Right front turn

Look up the colors to match those, I don't bother to memorize them. Probe the switch connector and or access the left kick panel connector for the rear harness.

Switch centered, both rear turn should show power with brake depressed
switch left or right should kill brake power to the appropriate rear lamp

With key "on" try both turn, re-check turn flasher power. If you have power out of the flasher / into the TS switch, and no flashers, it's either the switch or bulbs

Next pull ALL the bulbs, inspect, clean etc. Re-install all but one, and with that turn engaged, probe the socket to see if you have flasher power
Thanks so much I will get back with my results. You rock!

I took the front grill of my 67 dart off. After, i noticed that the turn signals will not blink. The lights come on when you switch the lever. But dont flash. I temporally hooked the left front blinker bulb up and the blinkers work as expected. Dont know if that helps at all.

-
Back