TV speakers for the deaf?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
not completely deaf but close enough..... sound systems recommended? No I do not have a budget of $1,000.. Do those TV bars , I think is what they are called, do they help any?

not completely deaf but close enough..... sound systems recommended? No I do not have a budget of $1,000.. Do those TV bars , I think is what they are called, do they help any?

The bars only serve to produce a higher volume or to change the tones to a range easier for an individual to hear.
One of the best things I have seen in my travels for that problem is wireless headphones.

Could you ever swing a budget of $2-3 thousand for actual hearing aids? My wife has been going deaf for years and we needed to do something about it; shw could not hear normal level conversations anymore. The local audiologists were asking $5-7k for a pair. I got to researching, and found a good place selling them on-line for well under half.... for the best name brands. They even have a technology where you can adjust them after you wear them for a while, at no charge.

The online seller is BuyHear.com; they are in Iowa. We got some top end Widex ones for my wife, but they have several levels of aids. If you get a hearing test at an audiologist, then you send a copy in to BuyHear, and their audiologist makes a recommendation from that.

Having aids have made a HUGE and wonderful difference in her life; some of the best money I/we have ever spent. Now she asks me "Does the TV sound loud to you?" when I have it set to my comfortable listening level LOL

Speakers and how they help is gonna depend on a lot of things, much of which is the features and how your TV is set up.........

My new one (I thought) had audio output, but it's LINE output and so not affected by the remote. The only remote controlled output on mine is optical which I have not been able to get to work with a 3rd party decoder.........the audio to video sync is not stable

Also, in the bedroom, that TV is hooked to a small sound system by the bed. I bought that system at the Thrift. The problem with IT is that it's a typical boombox and is overly boosted base, and the equalizer controls is nearly non existent. Since it's by the bed, I'm using the line out with it, and again.......no volume control through the remote.

I've also heard people talk about changing the mid channel / surround sound settings which might help. My big "*****" (rant about it the other day LOL) is "music" in documentaries which cover up the narrative. Many producers are guilty.

"If you can run wire" a modest sound system near your favorite chair WITH an equalizer so you can boost needed frequencies for you is likely your easiest / most effective answer. Troll the thrift stores LOL

my father in law had this issue
his wife, did not
so for them two to watch TV together was not fun

we solved it by buying him a set of wireless headphones
this allowed him to blast the TV as loud as he wanted, while she can listen at a more moderate level

at my house, i had the issue of kids being in between me and the TV, making their usual racket and making it hard to hear the TV over them
i solved that by installing the center speaker of the surround sound (the one that most dialogue runs through) behind the couch, just above my head
of course, that doesnt help you if you dont have surround sound yet

My wife got a pair of hearing aids, I think the widex, she spent about 5k for the pair but it helped her out a lot.

I will need them soon. Audiologist says I have a notch in my hearing. I can hear most things really well, but a certain frequency not so well. That frequency is the same as the human voice. So I do have trouble with conversations some times and I work with a bunch of low talkers and people that want to whisper all the time. When they go to whisper mode I have no idea what they are saying. And I’m getting tired of saying “what” all the time and making people repeat themselves.
But I don’t have 5 grand laying around so I’ll have to wait

Could you ever swing a budget of $2-3 thousand for actual hearing aids? My wife has been going deaf for years and we needed to do something about it; shw could not hear normal level conversations anymore. The local audiologists were asking $5-7k for a pair. I got to researching, and found a good place selling them on-line for well under half.... for the best name brands. They even have a technology where you can adjust them after you wear them for a while, at no charge.

The online seller is BuyHear.com; they are in Iowa. We got some top end Widex ones for my wife, but they have several levels of aids. If you get a hearing test at an audiologist, then you send a copy in to BuyHear, and their audiologist makes a recommendation from that.

I really need hearing aid, hopefully i can get one before I or she goes nuts!! I went to a audiologist couple years ago and he said my problem is electrical, not mechanical which they can fix. MY dad had terrible hearing ( prop bombers ww11 caused) but his was mechanical and at 68 he had his fixed!!!!!
Not sure what the equilizer is mentioned, but I need something. Sounds like that bar is a waste of $ for me. Wireless Headphones or surround maybe.
I cannot understand hardly any dialogue on the TV and my ability to take in a conversation is bout zero!! Sad

I have been watching TV with the closed caption on for a few years now, I have no problem hearing comentators on racing or hockey but movies it is next to impossible to hear what they are saying. I like The Big Bang Theory but the girl Bernatete I can`t understand a single word out of her.
To buy hearing aids here in Canada I would have to sell my Duster and my Grandson to afford them.

I have been watching TV with the closed caption on for a few years now, I have no problem hearing comentators on racing or hockey but movies it is next to impossible to hear what they are saying. I like The Big Bang Theory but the girl Bernatete I can`t understand a single word out of her.
To buy hearing aids here in Canada I would have to sell my Duster and my Grandson to afford them.

I hear ya!!! I will check ot that site mentioned in post #3... The cost here at the audiologists is way beyond my financial means. TV? me I just watch the picture!!!!

I use the closed captioning a lot on the TV. Also have the wireless headphones ( $20. something.)
The headphones are great because the closed captioning does not get it all. My wife feels like I am shutting her out, but on nights I can't sleep and she is there is no sound to keep her awake.
Yote

I can hear people but unless they are right by me I can't understand anything...Just sounds like bzzzz. The biggest problem for me is the stupid TV designers.The speakers on both 55 incher's we have are on the bottom ,back side of the TV throwing the sound into the wall behind it. I bought a cheap $ 49.00 sound bar for each and it solved my problem. Your results may vary.

I have trouble with both Bernedette and the guy from India..even with my sound bar.She sounds like screech ..screech and He might as well speak in his native language.

For those who really need hearing aids, I really encourage you to check out the online sales outlets. I can't vouch for any of them except BuyHear.com; I was worried at first sending off the amount of $$ (about $3.2k in our case for top-of-the-line Widex units) but it all worked out fine for my wife. They looked at her audiogram first thing and said it was a typical hearing loss and so most products would work; IIRC, the person there who examines the audiograms is an audiologist too. (But don't let me misrepresent that fact...)

The aids have all gone digital and many have Bluetooth or other proprietary wireless links into the hearing aids, and so can be adjusted easily. Seriously, there is no one posting here who could not become an expert at using these in a few minutes.... the knowledge and intelligence needed to tune a 4 BBL carb right and set distributor timing is higher!

For my wife, she was getting to the point of not being able to participate in common conversations and struggling with everyday interactions, and that is all fine now. BuyHear made some adjustments at their facility in Iowa based on her audiogram, and she just put them in when we got them and she was good to go. They are Widex brand and my son has an app on his smartphone that can adjust them in a minor way at home (the equalizers mainly). It is a technology that is a lot more suited for general sales for general hearing loss than it used to be, so really no need to pay through the nose in many/most cases.

-
Back