Two post lift maintenance

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
I’ve been using my new two post lift for a couple of months now and I really want to stay on top of maintenance for it.

As far as lubrication goes, the manual only says to lubricate rollers and pins with 90wt gear oil or equivalent. As well as lubricating the carriage slides with “grease”. It doesn’t specify what to lubricate the cables with.

What products do you guys use to lubricate the cables and carriages of your car lifts?

Thanks

My first thought is look up the specific model and follow whatever the maker says.................

We don’t grease our cables , but everything else you mentioned? We have an old chain driven one and we grease it .

Not knowing anything about your lift I do know 90wt gear oil will stay on them a long time but may also attract a lot of dirt and debis.

Not knowing anything about your lift I do know 90wt gear oil will stay on them a long time but may also attract a lot of dirt and debis.

It’s an atlas pv10px 2 post. 10k pound capacity. It’s uses two direct drive hydraulic rams rather than a chain roll over design

Personally being raised on a farm I would spray them with a chain/cable grease just to prevent corrosion and then just keep an eye on them to see if they need a re-coat later.

I would not use grease, such as wheel bearing grease, it will attract dirt, and other debris..as mentioned before. Grease on the lift cable will not let moisture escape from the inner cable and it will rust inside the core. I use this type of spray on my motorcycle and bike cable.... it's made for this sole purpose. To check your cable use a shop towel and a glove wrap the towel around the cable and pull gently along the cable if it snags you should inspect the cable for fray wires. There is a inspection criteria for this, limits and how many wire frays per foot of cable. Me, if the lift is out of the weather and the car doesn't drip salt on the cable you should be good to go. Steel cables when made are pre lubed from the manufacture......

Wirelife lub.jpg

The manufacturers response:

“We do not recommend lubricating your cables unless your lift is outside but for the carriages we recommend white lithium grease”

my lift isn’t outside, but it is inside a metal shop with no insulation so humidity can be a problem. I’ve noticed tools in my toolbox rusting. I would assume the lift cables would rust as well if left untreated

For the cables, you can use a silicone-based spray lubricant, which will provide a protective coating and reduce friction on the cables. Be sure to avoid using any oil-based lubricants, as they can attract dirt and debris and cause the cables to wear more quickly.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and want to add my two cents. Regarding lubrication, I don't have personal experience with car lifts. Still, I've heard that it's essential to use a lubricant specifically designed for cables and chains, as using the wrong lubricant can cause damage and wear over time. It might be a good idea to consult with the manufacturer or a lift maintenance company, like https://hinchong.com/lift-maintenance-singapore/, to determine the best lubricant for your particular lift.

Last edited:
Depends on design of your lift as to what would be needed. Mine has the "floor plate" and a #60 chain that runs beneath the plate. Some have cables that run above. The guide sheave/sprockets are most likely to need lube. The rollers in the columns are usually sealed, some use plastic blocks instead.

-
Back