Uca ?

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I am starting the rebulid process of my front end. I have a set of UCA's that I want to refurb and have ready when I tear the front end off and replace everything. Last night I was taking off the ball joints and looking at the threads.

My question is can you "chase" the thread on these and clean them up? It was a P.I.T.A. getting them off and I am not sure if they are supposed to be that condition or not. Does not look like a lot of thread to work with in the first place. What thread type are they and what if any tool can I chase them with?

Does anyone have a picture of what they should look like?

John B.

I don`t know if those threads are really like any standard thread but more of a create a thread as they go in. All of the control arms I`ve seen have had very little in threads.

The uppers have no pressure, they are followers, on a mopar. They just hold the top of the spindle straight. Unlike a old mustang, that had all the weight there, the couldn't last 30,000 miles.

If it was a PITA to remove the old ball joints, chances are the threads are fine. Compare them w/ the threads on your new joints.......The threads do look kinda rounded from the factory.

Yes they are kinda flat and wierd looking, I will take some pictures. It just seems that there would be a little more beef to it as hard as they were to remove.

John B.

If it was a PITA to remove the old ball joints, chances are the threads are fine. Compare them w/ the threads on your new joints.......The threads do look kinda rounded from the factory.

I agree. Make sure the threads are clear of any grit, you should be godd to go. The main concern I have had when replacing the UBJ is to make sure they are seated properly in the control arm so I don't cross thread them and wreck the UCA.

There must be a hundred or more different types of thread in a million sizes. Like a vise or c-clamp will have parabolic ( power tranmision ) threads.
Anything you do to correct those ball joint threads will remove material which can't help. I would bead blast them at most. Brake part cleaner and a brass wire brush would probably make me happy.

I restore a lot of control arms around here. After masking off the BJ threads to do the coating work, I clean them up with the little brass wire wheel on the Dremel. Works great, but remember your eye protection.

Cuz it's all fun and games til somebody loses an eye. ;-)

Sorry, I got busy and forgot to get you these pics. Pm me if you want the control arms, these are from a 67 cuda.

MVC-005S.jpg

MVC-004S.jpg

MVC-003S.jpg

-
Back