UH OH 360 Wrong Flywheel

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
The 360 that I bought to put in my car upon teardown for a new clutch i found it has a neutral balance flywheel. I did not hear it run but was told it ran good. It does have the proper balancer on it. I am now planning on checking the bearings. What do you guys think just possibly bearing damage or more?

I had a wrong t-converter on a 340 engine once, (steel crank, cast crank converter) and the engine ran great but my friend noticed that the crank would walk out or move forward when the engine was reved up. It did have a vibration but wasn't sure what it was. Well, found out later that the guy who installed my converter thought the engine was a 74 cause the car was...the engine is a 69....my dumb fault for not knowing and his dumb fault for not checking...oh well. Anyway, my thrust bearing (center main) had worn out from this, the bearing actually wore into the sides of the crank weights, causing the crank to move like that. Had to pull it out, damn, lesson learned. I had the crank fixed and it is holding up great but was a spendy mistake. My engine also had the right balancer on it, I would pull the pan and check for play or maybe pull the center thrust bearing and check it? All my other main and rod bearings were fine but if I remember right I replaced them all to be safe, the engine was only rebuilt about 1-2 years old at the time.

Thanks here is a pic of what came off. This was an 11 inch.

transmission005.jpg

Thanks for the schematic but as I stated this one is for the 11 inch and I am going 10 1/2 so it is getting replaced.

Thanks for the schematic but as I stated this one is for the 11 inch and I am going 10 1/2 so it is getting replaced.

The schematic is the same for either 11" or 10.5", but it's also "guess and by golly", you may get it right, you may not.

Personally, I have a 360 flywheel for 11" from a pick-up and when I need a 10.5 I just go to a engine balancer friend of mine and he match balances the 10.5" one up to the 11" one for a really fair price.
Doesn't look "stock", but it also doesn't quiver a bit.

Mark.

If you use the schematics to do this, it is CRITICAL that the flywheel being used is truly neutral balance BEFORE doing the mods!!!

DAMHIK.

Mark.

-
Back