UH OH!! Did this Hurt Anything???

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
I was teaching my little brother how to check the trans fluid on my 73 Duster the other day on a 904 with about 1,000 miles on it. It was a 1/4 quart low since the engine swap(had to refill converter after reinstall), so I had him add some more. Not watching him, he put the entire quart in!!! The dipstick shows fluid about 1" above the full mark. Dammit. What I hae noticed since then is there are one or two half dollar sized fluid drips under the tailshaft and under the left side of the pan after driving for a good bit. Obviously, its too full and blowing the fluid out somehow. Is this going to permanantly ruin the seals or will it stop after the fluid level subsides? Is there a way to correct this(im sure there isn't without changing the fluid))?

I don;t want to ruin an excellent trans. Its still working flawlessly through this. This has to be the first time I kicked my own *** for something my brother botched, as it was my fault. This ranks right up there with some other dumb things I've done with cars. Let me know.:-x

Get a vacuum pump setup.. like the ones they sell to bleed brakes.. attach a long plastic hose and put it down your dispstick pipe and pull the extra fluid out.. Nice and clean and no pan removal.

Get a vacuum pump setup.. like the ones they sell to bleed brakes.. attach a long plastic hose and put it down your dispstick pipe and pull the extra fluid out.. Nice and clean and no pan removal.

Everything is working ok still. I have not done damage right? The extra fluid is being forced through the seals, which is causing the minor leak? It seems to be leaking from one area and being blown back to the tailshaft area while driving, hence the three different areas of drips on the driveway.

You can also tale a cooler line loose at the radiator...

That is what I did when I overfilled after installing a trans cooler... just don't try it when the car is running or you will make a huge mess like I did :angry1:
I like to think I have gotten smarter over the years...

-
Back