Ultimute EQ headed racemotor? Lets build it!

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
This is a fun post to see what guys THINK. can be done with a lowly set of EQ heads, a magnum 5.9 base ( engine block) and a stroker kit. Budget is what i want strongly considered. The basic idea is what would Joe budget racer build, no dry sumps, no vacuum pumps.
My ideas- 408 cubes, 13/1 compression,
Home ported EQs with 2.02 intakes, Ford 1.73 rockers, mechanical rollercam, TUNNELRAM! for making the best hp possible with the limits of these econo heads. My guess on potential power? Might touch 660 hp? That would not be bad results for a budget bracket motor.

I like the idea of theoretical builds for the EQ heads. I personally wanted to build a Duster back around 2003 to run a heads up, small block only class. The rules restricted the engines to approved cylinder heads only. The EQ heads would have fallen right in line with their rules, which mostly restricted Chrysler heads to Edelbrock offerings, but no porting was allowed. The heads had to run out of the box ports, but were allowed a competition valve job.
Cam was restricted to .550 max lift; no solid rollers. Displacement was maxed out at 365 cubic inches.
I loved the way those engines sounded screaming down the track, so although it would not quite meet the designation of ultimate EQ combination, I would build it that way for the fun of it if I had the funds to throw around.
How cool would it be to have a naturally aspirated, no power adder, stock port Engine Quest head class at the Chrysler events like the MATS, Carlisle, and also Norwalk so there is one close to me.

Will the block take that kind of power?
which ford are you sourcing 1.73 rockers from 1.7 rockers are easy to find for Magnum heads or are U using the shaft rocker version
The pushrod angle on the Ford FE Iron rockers may be way off- I have a set that is honed out larger for another trial I'll take a look
I would think without laying it out that you are looking at major rocker shaft relocation
Are you thinking of .200 + longer valves and 2" installed height
If so you might as well figure milling off the stock stands and using custom stands
move them back not only because the longer valves move the tips closer to the intake side but because you can use longer rocker arms and keep the pushrod ( rocker cup) in a reasonable place

This is a fun post to see what guys THINK. can be done with a lowly set of EQ heads, a magnum 5.9 base ( engine block) and a stroker kit. Budget is what i want strongly considered. The basic idea is what would Joe budget racer build, no dry sumps, no vacuum pumps.
My ideas- 408 cubes, 13/1 compression,
Home ported EQs with 2.02 intakes, Ford 1.73 rockers, mechanical rollercam, TUNNELRAM! for making the best hp possible with the limits of these econo heads. My guess on potential power? Might touch 660 hp? That would not be bad results for a budget bracket motor.
How to Make 600 HP with Cast-Iron Heads on a Mopar 340 Stroker

Wyrmrider, i would not call .200 long valves a budget move. My EQs have .050 longer valves, .100 cut deeper in the pockets. What ever max net lift that could be had without moving the rockers would have to do. But seeing that 2.02 is a decent sized valve for EQs, decent power could be had, i would think. On the 1.73 rockers, somebody else spoke of that being a posibilty, but 1.7 would do.

Wyrmrider, i would not call .200 long valves a budget move. My EQs have .050 longer valves, .100 cut deeper in the pockets. What ever max net lift that could be had without moving the rockers would have to do. But seeing that 2.02 is a decent sized valve for EQs, decent power could be had, i would think. On the 1.73 rockers, somebody else spoke of that being a posibilty, but 1.7 would do.

Not the ultimate but the EQ's can come close to the W2 when executed correctly.

I still prefer the stock stroke stuff. J.Rob

371ci Mopar Small Block - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

SKMFX Budget Small Block - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

what are you thinking for a budget in dollars....???

what are you thinking for a budget in dollars....???
Budget would be obviously up to the individual. The main idea is, what can be done without getting into things like dry sumps, vacuum pumps, custom manifolds (sheetmetal), parts coatings (beyond piston skirts) or anything else that has v re y poor payback.
This post is sort of a reminder of what i threw together 38 years ago as my first bracket motor. 440 pushed out to 535 cubes, tunnelram, rollercam. A pair of missmatched 800 holleys. Home ported 906 iron heads. I look back now and wonder why it ran as well as it did! There was so much wrong with that combo. It will be nice to hear some day that the contributors to this post helped a beginning rodder or racer build a killer motor on a budget, because of the knowledge shared here.

You are really limited by the available port cross section of those heads. Saying that, for a street motor, I've used the Indy LAX head, 424ci/360, single 4-bbl, single plane Edelbrock Victor, solid roller (258/260 .638/.645 110 on 106), 91 octane, 11:1, 625 HP @ 6,200 rpm. So I know that is possible with no dry sumps, vacuum pumps, not even piston coatings. I did spend the bucks for a crank trigger and we modified the LAX head to run Chevy stud rockers.

Sorry
I saw Ultimate EQ head build so I'm thinking W2 or W5 style
are we working with shafts or studs or looking at both?

What valves did you use- did you flow your heads
IQ52 did you look at backset stud rockers like the Crowers?

who's doing the 1.8's?
and what mods to the heads/ block to run 3/8 pushrods and high ratio rockers

Last edited:
Sorry
I saw Ultimate EQ head build so I'm thinking W2 or W5 style
are we working with shafts or studs or looking at both?

What valves did you use- did you flow your heads
IQ52 did you look at backset stud rockers like the Crowers?

who's doing the 1.8's?
and what mods to the heads/ block to run 3/8 pushrods and high ratio rockers
2.05/1.625 +.100" or +.200", don't remember for sure, to lazy to dig out my notes. Seems like they flowed a bit over 300 cfm, again, my notes? The LAX heads have the bosses for the stud rockers but no holes or threads, so I just made the heads fit the rockers.

2010 Mopar Nats and Chenoweth contest engine 037.jpg

It is my opinion that the EQ head is not capable of matching the LAX/MAX performance. And I should bug out for awhile. I have to finish this 347 Ford.

-
Back