Under hood Wiring upgrade

-

RogerK

Reaction score
Well I spent the winter wiring a fuse and relay box from a 1999 Caravan for my Cuda and I must say as much of a pain it was I'm very happy with the associated benefits.

My motivation was to repair and replace the cracked wiring while upgrading the alternator/ charging system. I moved the VR to the inner fender next to the horns and wired the square back alt for the dual fields too.

The horn relay went into the new box as well as high & low beam, parking lights (front & back), a key on power relay, cooling fan relay (for future use), a starter relay (for Future use) and the relays for the injection computer & fuel pump. For now I'll stick with the factory Mopar starter relay.

I ran the wires for the Alternator & temp sensor along with the horn & headlight wiring across the radiator support so there were less wires run across the engine. The Batt wire from the alt was replaced with new 10 gauge and I ran all new 12 gauge wire for everything else including the headlights. Its amazing how much brighter they are with the relays.

Every circuit got tested before soldering the final connections and I had no issues. I have a few more details to finish but its in and all works.

Note: Do NOT get a relay box from a 99 caravan. It has a solid state computer board that has all the wiring with multiple connectors underneath. I completely disassembled the damn thing and rebuilt it from the ground up. I should have ditched it and gotten a different one but I can be stubborn.

Attachments

• Wiring 1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Wiring 2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 192
  • wiring 3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 191
  • wiring 4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 190
  • wiring 5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 206
  • wiring 6.jpg