Undercoating

-

muddacres

Reaction score
What is the next best thing to mopar undercoating. I put a new AMD quarter panel on? Starting to look like a car again. :cheers:
Thanks for the help in advance.
Jim

Spray on bedliner material such as Rhinoliner. Even looks like undercoating if that is the look you are after.

They make paint over under coats in a can. Visit your local auto body supply store and they will have it.

Um, why would you be painting over the undercoating. Undercoating is black and is applied OVER the paint. It is suppose to remain black.

You can use 3M™ Body Schutz™ Rubberized Coating or RestoRick (http://www.restorick.com) sells an undercoating that looks like the original. We used RestoRick's on the interior and 3M under the car and fenders.

Um, why would you be painting over the undercoating. Undercoating is black and is applied OVER the paint. It is suppose to remain black.

Paint over undercoats are actually used often. You can coat something and paint over it using it as a chip/rock coat. Painting over the undercoating makes it really easy to clean too and looks good. You could get the protection of undercoat in say wheel wells without the ugly black covering up your body color.

I use the 3M "Underseal" rubberized undercoating in black. Part # is 08883. Hope ya find what you're looking for.
Small Block

What kind of prep work do you need to do for this recommended stuff? My car has alot of "surface" rust under there.

And what about suspension, springs and all? Spray them too?

You can use 3M™ Body Schutz™ Rubberized Coating or RestoRick (http://www.restorick.com) sells an undercoating that looks like the original. We used RestoRick's on the interior and 3M under the car and fenders.

This is what I would use. I have also used SEM brand chip guard on the inside of quarters to give it that factory undercoated look.

The 3M rubberized also works well and is light weight. Its not as tuff as the factory tar undercoating though.

I would clean the are up real good, knock the heavy rust off with a red scotch brite pad and wipe the are down with a good pre paint prep solvent.

Again thanks for all your imputs, I guess I'm looking to get a mirror image of the OEM quarter to the AMD quarter panel. I tried some 3M rubberized and that don't look anything like it. I will look into the sem brand and see what that looks like.
Jim

-
Back