Unisteer rack and pinion

-

nrubino

Reaction score
Would it be possible to modify a Unisteer rack and pinion for a "B" body, to work in an "A" body?

Thanks, Nick

67 Cuda convertible

I'm sure if it could, they would have done so. There's a couple of old threads on here about guys who have tried, with various success, on putting a rack on otherwise stock suspension.

I think part of the problem, with putting a rack in the same position as the original center link, is your U joint angles to the column become ridiculous.

Putting one in front of the spindles screws up steering geometry.

I believe I would modify the K frame instead.

Actually it could be done with a custom rack that could move as much as a steering box , which the unisteer doesn't and that is the biggest complaint from installers . Most racks move 5-6 inches. A gearbox moves the steering arm more like 7+, so the real problem is lack of turning radius with old school muscle cars designed to work with a gearbox and inner tie rods causing bump-steer .
If this guy would make this rack realistic on price , not with a $2500 price tag, it would work in a rear steer musclecar:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwT5ruol4yU"]Universal Steering System - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

Blown71Duster is correct in principle. Racks from aftermarket people like Unisteer are generally reworked OEM racks; Omni, Horizon etc for rear steer application. These racks have a lock to lock travel of 5.25 to 5.4 inches. The travel on your Mopar box measured at the pivot of the pitman arm is 6 7/16 inches. May not sound like alot but it is a difference of 15 to 18%. That translates as a huge increase in turn circle diameter which makes for a very awkward vehicle to drive. There are two possible solutions. One is to shorten the steering arms; not recommended because it is impossible to re-heat treat the arms, or to obtain a rack with a suitable total travel. The rack on my Dart is a TCP (Total Control Products) item. It came with a total travel of 6 3/8 inches. I increased that to 6 3/4 inches and it works extremely well, but it is a fairly pricey piece, plus you need a fairly good working knowlege of steering geometry and suspension dynamics to mount the rack properly. In fact, there is no real advantage in a r & p steering system that cannot be matched with recirculating ball type boxes. I used the rack and pinion only because I was installing a 6.1 in the car and did not like the positioning of the engine using an adaptor kit, and also wanted to retain the factory Hemi A/C compressor in the down low position. All of this made it impossible to keep the stock style steering box, but for general purpose I would strongly recommend upgrading your manual box, or going to a Firm Feel box if you have power steering. Just my opinion, but it comes from a lot of years of experience with these vehicles and chassis'.

To the OP:

Don't give up on what you want to do to your car. Sometimes we have to think outside the box (the 'box' being the catalogs most guys use to build their cars).

I have the same idea to swap over my steering box to a rack and pinion in my Valiant. I am planning an engine swap soon and I will need to re-engineer the steering to clear the oil pan on my motor. I will be swapping in a B6304/auto (24-valve 2.9litre inline 6) in to it and will need the car to be front steer. I don't have the cash to throw out at a custom K-frame and if it comes down to it, I will build my own if simple mods don't get me where I want to be. When I make progress on it, I will post my results, actually, I think I'll make a build thread and get the info out that way.

i am installing a Unisteer rack in my car right now. I bought a off the shelf 45" Omni unit to play with. The knuckles on the rack flex at the same point as the old steering arms did but I have not checked the actual steering radius. I mounted it in the same area as the old steering system. I will check the radius tonight. I went with one because I moved the engine back because my motor plate hit the stock steering block and could not move back more than about 3". I will get some picks and measurements tonight. You can always get a custom rack made.

I am wondering this same thought about the aftermarket steering. I have a QA1 K frame for my 68 Cuda. The thought that I might do the electric steer. This may help me get more room in the engine bay and keep the modification's to something I can handle. I have not been able to find any kind of kit for this year car. So like others you just have to come up with a custom job. Just wondering if anyone has thought of or tried the electric steer concept?

-
Back