Universal brake booster 65 Cuda?

-

LOKOBRO

Reaction score
My brother is restoring a 65 Barracuda, nearing completion and we’re wondering if anyone here might know if a universal brake booster will work on stock drum and disc when and if we convert to disc. The link below is the one in question. We know rods will need to be replaced with shorter or longer. Mostly just curious about the booster. I lack a lot of knowledge but learning as I go. If I’ve missed some required info let me know

We have the original and could possibly go the booster Dewey route but wanted to start with this

Amazon.com

do you have all the bracketry and mounting bits as well? because you'll need that unless you're planning on some kind of custom install.

That won't fit your Mopar master cylinder, 2 bolt vs. four bolt.
Won't fit the newer aluminum 2 bolt Mopar master either, wrong bolt spacing.
Doctor Diff sells a good one, 7" diameter with the brackets if you order the A body version (will fit the early A even though it's listed for '67-'76). Not sure if it's currently in stock, my link to the site is acting up. Give him a call.
Very similar to what I run on my '66: a '67-'72 booster and linkage/brackets. Clears the valve cover, which the later larger diameter '73-'76 units will not. (Assuming you've got a V8, a slant 6 may not have that issue)

That won't fit your Mopar master cylinder, 2 bolt vs. four bolt.
Won't fit the newer aluminum 2 bolt Mopar master either, wrong bolt spacing.
Doctor Diff sells a good one, 7" diameter with the brackets if you order the A body version (will fit the early A even though it's listed for '67-'76). Not sure if it's currently in stock, my link to the site is acting up. Give him a call.
Very similar to what I run on my '66: a '67-'72 booster and linkage/brackets. Clears the valve cover, which the later larger diameter '73-'76 units will not. (Assuming you've got a V8, a slant 6 may not have that issue)
do you by chance have a diameter on the 67~72 booster? and maybe the spacing from the firewall (inside or outside of bracket is fine)? i have a few 73+ and was wondering just how different all the stuff is.

do you by chance have a diameter on the 67~72 booster? and maybe the spacing from the firewall (inside or outside of bracket is fine)? i have a few 73+ and was wondering just how different all the stuff is.
If I remember correctly, the booster is approx. 7 1/2" diameter, I can double check it tomorrow and update if significantly different. I've got both style setups on the shelf (okay, in boxes in the loft...) and the bracketry looked pretty much identical between the two- again, I'll compare them a little closer tomorrow. I've also got the original '66 "eight bolt" booster setup stashed somewhere up there too- if I can find it, it would be interesting to see how much the brackets differed, if at all, on that setup compared to the two later setups.
FWIW- there was also a booster with a 6 1/2" housing on it that was used to clear the engine on the '67-'69 big block A bodies. I would imagine the bracketry was the same for these, as I can't imagine the factory would tool up any more different parts than necessary. Never had my hands on one of these, though; so I can't say for sure.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the booster is approx. 7 1/2" diameter, I can double check it tomorrow and update if significantly different. I've got both style setups on the shelf (okay, in boxes in the loft...) and the bracketry looked pretty much identical between the two- again, I'll compare them a little closer tomorrow. I've also got the original '66 "ten bolt" booster setup stashed somewhere up there too- if I can find it, it would be interesting to see how much the brackets differed, if at all, on that setup compared to the two later setups.
FWIW- there was also a booster with a 6 1/2" housing on it that was used to clear the engine on the '67-'69 big block A bodies. I would imagine the bracketry was the same for these, as I can't imagine the factory would tool up any more different parts than necessary. Never had my hands on one of these, though; so I can't say for sure.
Confirmed it today- the '67-'72 booster is indeed 7 1/2" diameter, and the bracketry is the same as used on the larger diameter '73-'76 booster. Even the booster bolt pattern is the same.
1707953554382.jpeg

A point of interest on the 7 1/2" '67-'72 booster:
Midland-Ross supplied the same booster to Ford- the housings are slightly different to accommodate the Ford master cylinder and firewall mounting; but the guts, and therefore the rebuild parts, are the same. So you can get kits for them from many of the Ford and Mustang restoration parts sources.

My brother is restoring a 65 Barracuda, nearing completion and we’re wondering if anyone here might know if a universal brake booster will work on stock drum and disc when and if we convert to disc. The link below is the one in question. We know rods will need to be replaced with shorter or longer. Mostly just curious about the booster. I lack a lot of knowledge but learning as I go. If I’ve missed some required info let me know

We have the original and could possibly go the booster Dewey route but wanted to start with this

Amazon.com
There "USED" to be kits on ebay. If you do a general search for what you are looking for they should pop up.

Confirmed it today- the '67-'72 booster is indeed 7 1/2" diameter, and the bracketry is the same as used on the larger diameter '73-'76 booster. Even the booster bolt pattern is the same.
View attachment 1716207178
I appreciate you researching that, there is a lot of good information coming in and sadly I don’t know a lot about what we have. I’m passing all this on to the mastermind behind this. Thanks again

There "USED" to be kits on ebay. If you do a general search for what you are looking for they should pop up.
most all of the kits on flea bay are an interpretation of corvette/GM master booster set up à la RightStuff, CPP, Classic, et al.

some work, some don't, some need a right bit of fiddling about to get in, some are a nightmare. ALL need the supporting pieces from that particular kit to complete the install and make it clean looking-- you could cobble it together, but then you'll wind up with a cobbled together looking mess.

if you're gonna buy all brand new, doctor diff is the source. the right parts, the first time and top notch support.

-
Back