Update on My 64 Dart project

-
Oh.........hope that it gives you food for thought. By the way your car is killer, it's coming along nicely.

Oh.........hope that it gives you food for thought. By the way your car is killer, it's coming along nicely.

Thanks, seems like here lately time has been the problem. When I get back from SpringFling I'll be hitting it hot and heavy.

Hot and heavy to bring it to the Fall Fling? You can park it next to my Convertible. I Should have it done too.

Now that Springfling is over it's time to get back on the Dart. I spent the last two days working on the car. Got the rad mounted up, installed the water pump, mocked up where I want to place the voltage regulator and the relay, worked a little on the carbs, made up a fuel log, installed some plugs. Underneath I installed the ministarter and replace the torsion bar clips. I have the puke tank to plumb, paint the outer core support and install the headlights. Here's some pics of the engine compartment progress so far.

64 Dart  5-7-2009 001.jpg

64 Dart  5-7-2009 002.jpg

64 Dart  5-7-2009 003.jpg

64 Dart  5-7-2009 006.jpg

As I stated before I'll be running the battery in the trunk. The dilema I faced was where to put the cutoff switch. I even started a thread to get some ideas. My original idea was to install a plate below the rear bumper on the passenger side. I made a mockup out of cardboard and mounted the switch. Hung too low for my taste and for the sake of safety didn't want my power supply exposed. So yesterday I was sitting there trying to figure out what the heck to do and low and behold, a blinding flash of the obvious!!!! I'll let the pictures speak but this looks to be the best place out of the way. I used consicuity tape as the base so the switch stands out. My buddy pointed out that the techs may want to see a small red arrow pointing to the switch. I'll cross that bridge down the road.

64 Dart  5-7-2009 004.jpg

64 Dart  5-7-2009 005.jpg

Please excuse the dust, haven't begun cleaning out the interior tey but here's the SW cable drive tach mocked up where I'll most likely mount it. I need to order a 90 degree adapter for the tach.

64 Dart  5-7-2009 007.jpg

A buddy of mine just finished his Super Pro car and I like the way he did his floors and interior. He used gray Hammerite paint on the doors and roll cage. It really looks nice so I decided to experiemnt. I did the passenger door on the Dart and needless to say I don't like it so scratch that idea. I'll stick with regular paint.

64 Dart  5-7-2009 008.jpg

Wow, It doesn't seem like anyone is interested anymore. Since I can't get it stickied I'll probably let the thread die on the vine.

Hey,I,m still following your thread!That cut-off switch looks awful close to the taillight assembly,might be hard to grasp in an emergency?

Wow, It doesn't seem like anyone is interested anymore. Since I can't get it stickied I'll probably let the thread die on the vine.

Noooooo, don't kill it. I cannot get up to Washington anytime soon to see it. Keep up the posts. Sounds clips of the motor eventually running will awaken people on this site; I can guarantee that.=P~

I should have done a thread from the start for the 66 Charger on forbbodiesonly.:toothy10:

Oh yeah. I'm still watching of course. You've followed mine too. Us early a-body guys stick together. No sticky on my thread either. No biggie.

Will get those z-bars sent as soon as I'm absolutely sure everything works. Damn 4-speed is being a ***** to re-install. Wrestling is not fun.

Okay, wasn't sure if anyone was interested. I'll keep posting. My original intent was to help someone doing the same build and giving them some ideas on their build.

Oh yeah. I'm still watching of course. You've followed mine too. Us early a-body guys stick together. No sticky on my thread either. No biggie.

Will get those z-bars sent as soon as I'm absolutely sure everything works. Damn 4-speed is being a ***** to re-install. Wrestling is not fun.

Dave,

You ought to come out to Camarillo two Friday evenings from now (May 29) for the cruise in that they have out here on Ventura Blvd. Its a decent show (100+ cars) from 6-10 pm.

Dave,

You ought to come out to Camarillo two Friday evenings from now (May 29) for the cruise in that they have out here on Ventura Blvd. Its a decent show (100+ cars) from 6-10 pm.

Yeah cool. I will have to check it out. I still have your number.

Dave

Dave,

I'd come out but it would be a bit of a drive. Say, dropped that package in the mail this evening. Let me know if it works.

Finally got my driveshaft back, big u-joints and all. should be plenty strong. Finishing up on the wiring this weekend.

Well haven't posted for awhile, been on vacation in SoCal. but I did buy some parts that I need for the 64 such as gauges etc. I did score those Spitfire headers from Dave and also took a look at his Valient project.

Man, it's hot!!!! Got the trunk seal puckied on, installed the headlights and re-installed the headlight bezels. Something I did to give them more strength is I coated the inside of the bezels with undercoating. They are a little heavier now but won't be susteptable to rock dings. They are Laysons and are made of some very thin material unlike the stockers. They bend real easy. Guys were pushing my car back into the shop and pusheds against the bezels. Bent them up but they are fine now. I may go out when it cools down and put another coat of POR-15 on my floorboards. Oh, got my driveshaft in. Now I need to figure out the driveshaft hoop.

Well I got my buckets mocked up, made the base plates for the seats. I also spent some time laying my battery cable out and cutting off the excess. I need to get the hardware soldered on. I went to put on my spark plug wires and foind that I bought wires with 90 Degree boots. I can't remember where I got the taylor set so I'll order a new set from Summitt.

Hope your not spending all your money on that...other car!!Just kidding,how,s it going with the build?Must be getting close?

-
Back