UPDATE SS Springs issue fixed

-

dazedand confused

Reaction score
in my previous post about my 1965 Dodge Dart concerning my Super Stock leaf springs shackle issue to where the bottom of the shackles was facing towards the springs instead of facing towards down at an angle towards the rear bumper . I made reinforced extention blocks to fix the geometry issue and yes measurements where taken prior to this mod on the leaf springs and mounting brackets ect. I used 2 x 4 steel box tubing sections

20231218_153531.jpg

20231225_144008.jpg

Sorry, late to the game, are there not front extensions on the front of the springs?

If I recall, his springs were a little short and would flip the rear brackets up against the trunk floor. I had a new set of springs with the same issue. They are still sitting in storage now. Bought but didn't try to install for a couple of years so I'm stuck with them.

Can anyone identify these springs. And are they SS springs. 6 leafs all same and equal on both sides no half leafs.

IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

With the car sitting down should the shackles be sitting back a bit ?
Dazed yours look to be sitting back a little.
Mine are straight.

IMG_1770.jpeg

With the car sitting down should the shackles be sitting back a bit ?
Dazed yours look to be sitting back a little.
Mine are straight.
Yes, that’s ideal, ottoman of the shackle rearward.
Straight up and down is what the MP book called acceptable IIRC.

As the springs relax, the shackle will go rearward. From straight up and down to rearward is the correct arch for them to work and move.

Not trying to hyjack.These are my spring #. Still not sure what they are. I was told they were for my 68 Dart.

Spring.jpg

Man I've seen some janky stuff.. but this 1.. hum. It almost seems like these springs are for the wrong year car, or something else needs addressed vs just adding extension blocks to get proper length.

in my previous post about my 1965 Dodge Dart concerning my Super Stock leaf springs shackle issue to where the bottom of the shackles was facing towards the springs instead of facing towards down at an angle towards the rear bumper . I made reinforced extention blocks to fix the geometry issue and yes measurements where taken prior to this mod on the leaf springs and mounting brackets ect. I used 2 x 4 steel box tubing sections

View attachment 1716212780

View attachment 1716212781

Man I've seen some janky stuff.. but this 1.. hum. It almost seems like these springs are for the wrong year car, or something else needs addressed vs just adding extension blocks to get proper length.

The OP hasn’t answered my question yet. He used spacers at the rear of the springs. The possible problem….. it pushes the wheels to far forward, maybe even into or to close to the front of the fender where the tire may contact it.

Another issue is…. What exact MP-SS spring is it?

Thirdly - Is there an extended front spring hanger. MP designed longer front spring holders for up front. Because the S/S springs front segment is shorter than other car body lines and may be of an issue.

Once he gets home from work (I assume is the case) he can check and address us all.

UPDATE
I tried to adjust the rear and it stayed in the same place. I got my lug nuts in and set the car down, adjusted the front, and looks like everything went in place. 27’’ in rear and 26 1/2 in the front from fender lip to ground. So pretty sure these are not SS springs. Now I’m not able to drive yet but it’s probably close to (hopefully) where it will be.
Crises averted !!

IMG_1775.jpeg

-
Back