Upper control arm 68 barracuda

-

mikewadkins

Reaction score
In process of rebuilding my 68. While taking out the upper ball joint all the threads are gone on control arm. This looks like a small size ball joint. What years are they the same size. If they had bigger size ball joints will everything still line up correctly?

14754531927521563164887.jpg

67-72 for the SBJ upper control arms. The large ball joint arms will line up, but, the tapered spindle on that ball joint is larger. So, to keep your SBP KH brakes I see in the background you would need to ream your SBP spindles out to accept the later upper ball joints.

67-72 for the SBJ upper control arms. The large ball joint arms will line up, but, the tapered spindle on that ball joint is larger. So, to keep your SBP KH brakes I see in the background you would need to ream your SBP spindles out to accept the later upper ball joints.

That's good to know. I can handle that. Wasn't sure if geometry would be correct and if cambolt would be in same place. What do you think about that brake system? Car would stop nice and straight.

Those upper arms are still plentiful. We are all hoarding them cuz we're not ready to toss 'em out yet.
But in a pinch you can tack-weld the new BJs in; just don't cook the teflon seats out of the good ones. Four tacks about 3/8'long, at the corners,has worked for me. Make sure the weld penetrates. That will give you a few more years out of those arms, and a few years to find good ones.

Those upper arms are still plentiful. We are all hoarding them cuz we're not ready to toss 'em out yet.
But in a pinch you can tack-weld the new BJs in; just don't cook the teflon seats out of the good ones. Four tacks about 3/8'long, at the corners,has worked for me. Make sure the weld penetrates. That will give you a few more years out of those arms, and a few years to find good ones.

For the price of refurbished ones I've seen not sure if it would be worth time to sandblast, change bushings out and paint.

if you want to stay sbj, get the qa1 uppers...I bought a set because of the same problem you had...they are a nice piece and lined up nicely

Have you ever wondered why the aftermarket never suggested you grind the thread neck off the top of the arm and install the nut they offer underneath the ball joint ? Simple answer is, Minimal profit. What would a simple nut sell for? Ten bucks ?
Welding the bj hex to the thread neck works.

FYI.
Actually any UCA from 62 - 72 are all the same thing.

Agree there are plenty available. If you want to stay stock.

I had a welded UBJ and had a new upper in days thanks to this site!

FYI.
Actually any UCA from 62 - 72 are all the same thing.

Of course! Sorry, I'm used to limiting my posts to the 67+ cars because I'm not an early A guy. I did know the the '64 up UCA's were the same, I'm not sure why I couldn't come up with that for my post.

I didn't realize they were the same starting in '62 though, so thanks for that! Hopefully I'll be able to remember that for next time. :rolleyes:

-
Back