Upper Control Arm Crack

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m refurbishing my upper control arms for my 71 Swinger, and noticed this crack in one of the collars where the new bushing are going to go. Is this salvageable?

Thanks

4DB4E90C-387C-4C5F-A651-9787C2B9BEB6.jpeg

It's just stamped steel as far as I know.
Weld and resurface.
Or replacement even should not be hard to find.
Disk brakes?
Just bought the PST front disc brake conversion kit... Wonder if their oem style control arms will work with it...?

You could prob find a piece of exhaust pipe locally, that would nicely "sleeve" outside that cracked piece, spot weld as nec.

Now that's a damm good idea.
Wish i thought of that one.

But that crack is easily weldable.
I had my welder friend of mine do two of them like that in years past, without and problems.

Although $25 for a used one is a great price, you can repair this one. If you can weld, here is what I would do. Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from cracking further. This is called 'Stop Drilling'. Then bevel the crack a bit on both sides and weld the crack up. Then you need to finish all the welds so they are super smooth. That is a lot of work. The $25 piece is looking better, huh?

Looks like someone beat you to the punch over on the right.

Control arm is cheap, so don't you be. Too much riding on that when an alternative arrives like Christmas in no time at all.

And I'd do the exhaust tubing thing to the new ones, too.

i'm replacing. the ball joint threads are shot as well. thinking i'll maybe sell these if anyone interested. I'll post pics later. They have 2 nice coats of primer on them now.

i'm replacing. the ball joint threads are shot as well. thinking i'll maybe sell these if anyone interested. I'll post pics later. They have 2 nice coats of primer on them now.

Just asking! If the ball joint threads are shot, also, why in the world would anyone want to buy them?
UCA's for your car are dirt cheap, used.
Anything from 1962-72 fits, works.

-
Back