upper control arm with offset bushings

-
Reaction score
Some background info:
65 Valiant, putting the 76 Duster larger ball joint uca for the disc brake swap...

Installed the Moog offset bushings (front bushing arrow out, back bushing arrow in), installed the washers that came with them (big ones outside, small ones inside)...

Did a test fit this afternoon... And it doesn't fit! There's probably about a quarter inch difference. When the bushings are fresh, do I have to do a bit of forcing for the UCA to fit?

Doesnt fit as in too big? Are you sure all the bushing's are oriented in the control arm correctly? And fully seated?

bushings fully seated?
check.

washers fully seated? i couldn't say. that might be causing the problem, although my homemade press won't press em in any further. think i should get em out and push em back in?

throw the instructions they come with in the trash and use these ones:

Attachments

• Moog7103InstallInstructions.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,769
bushings are installed as the drawing shows. actually was following condran's instructions in his book. the problem is that with the washers in, the arm won't fit on the car.

Many times I had to take a hammer to the brackets welded to the frame to reopen them for the new bushings.Over time and alignments, tightening the adjuster bolts they develop a "crush".When you do all 4 you will pick up a 1/4'' easy.

ah. ok, i see the problem now. i think i'm going to make bracket spreader tool. i don't trust my hammer whacking abilities not to damage anything else under there, heh.

Would disgarding the little end caps allow them to fit and did your original bushings have similar caps ?

Would degarding the little end caps allow them to fit and did your original bushings have similar caps ?

the original bushings have the washers built in. the moog offset bushings have them separate, i'm assuming, so you can see which way the hole is offset...

I just ordered all new Moog bushings and joints for the front end of my 65. Installing 74 disc's up front. Keep us posted on your progress. I am following Condran's book also.

throw the instructions they come with in the trash and use these ones:

So I am assuming then one on the front bushing the arrow points out towards the tire and the rear points towards the engine. I am about to install mine and just making shure.

Tahnks Moe

When I was 21 or so I changed my first set of upper control arm bushing's on a Duster. They came with those instructions. I took one look and realised what B.S they were ( NO FRICKIN WAY WAS IT GONNA HELP!),went to an alignment shop and asked the oldest guy there how to do it. Thats when I learned it the right way!! He showed me no charge,on condition he could do the alignment. What a good old guy he was. Too bad he died shortly after that..I was going to go work for him and he up and kicked the bucket before it all happenned.

then they are installed wrong

There is no wrong way. It depends entirely upon what you're doing with the car. I have an amature asphalt racer friend who has a 70 Dart asphalt car. We set his up negative as hell.

I was going to install the Moog K-7103 in my 1974 duster but found they wont work with the factory bolts?? The bolts are smaller than the inside diameter of the bushing.
Use bigger bolts then i would have to enlarge all the frame mounting area.
Any one ever had this problem?

I was going to install the Moog K-7103 in my 1974 duster but found they wont work with the factory bolts?? The bolts are smaller than the inside diameter of the bushing.
Use bigger bolts then i would have to enlarge all the frame mounting area.
Any one ever had this problem?

I could be wrong but I think the hole in the end cap ( like a ferrelle or neck on it ) fits the bolt diameter. There would be a space between the 2 where the bolt isn't contacting the inner shell of the bushing.

-
Back