Upper Control Arms

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
Are A, B, E body UCA with the big ball joint all the same in geometry?
I already swapped from e-body to B-body (drum to disc brake swap) and both were exactly the same. My question is can I use an e-body UCA in a 73up A body too?

The B and E are the same, but a bodies are different the spread between the control arms are different. So you can't put a set of b or e body arms on a A body car. Hope this helps.

Thanks
James

I don't think so. Browse the e-bodiesonly webpages and you should find pics of e-body suspension.
If I could only get the top of the shock absorber and most of that gosh awful hump out of the a-body engine bay I would be satisfied.

i don't like it but it helps, James. Thanks. will search now. Or can the bigger ball joint installed in the older A Body UCA? Drilling the hole for example?

There isn't enough material around the hole to fit in a large ball joint. There is a source for a taper sleeve that fits the small ball joint stem and adapts it to the larger hole in spindle if that helps.

thats an idea in deed. But I would prefer to drill the arms for the bigger ball joint. I heard/saw somewhere is a sleeve for that as well available but I can't find it anymore.

I think that is primarily for building tubular arms. It might repair a large ball joint arm too.
Assuming the internal threads shown fit the larger ball joint... Bore the small joint arm to fit its OD and you'll have very little remaining to weld to. What effect will the welding have on those internal threads is my question. Will a ball joint screw into it ? I guess it depends on the welder.
They could make that with a flange on it but the larger material and machining would drive the price up.

hm, re-drilling the hole. sleeves for the ball joints or tubulars from RMS? I'm undecided... :)
Facing the values. re-drilling is cheapest. No question. buying new UCAs plus bushings and ball joints is about what? RMS are complete and 300 bucks ( 150 each side )

Might contact Cass at DoctorDiff.com. Pretty sure he used to make a set of tapered bushings that you could slide over the upper balljoint stud so you could use the latter spindles.

There is a picture in this thread.

Do you think this works with the lower ball joint too?

No. The lower ball joint stud is the same size since it hooks to the lower control arm. The holes where it bolts to the spindle is slightly larger on disc brakes than drum brake applications. It is possible to drill out the ball joint to the disc brake size.

-
Back