Used 360 price

-

heidij

Reaction score
I am looking into buying an used 360 for my 1965 Dodge Dart project.Says it does turn over and he does keep it up sealed up in his shed.My fiancée Brent's cousin Jake has it and said it is mine for a good price.Said it did run very good before it was pulled out of a 1979 Dodge 3/4 ton truck.It is going to replace a worn out 273 that smokes a lot.I do know that the torque converter has to be changed as well because the 360 torque converter has a counter weight on it.My dart does have the 727 automatic.What is good price for this 360?I plan on tearing it down anyway.

How long ago was it pulled out? They always ran good when pulled.........

If you are gonna go thru it when you get it, then it's nothing more than a builder core.........$200.00 or less

"Jake" must have given you an idea as to what he wants? In the last month our shop has taken in two 360s as donations that were "running when parked"!

How long ago was it pulled out? They always ran good when pulled.........

If you are gonna go thru it when you get it, then it's nothing more than a builder core.........$200.00 or less

I agree. Treat it as a core. I was going to say max $300 but since it's a soon-to-be family member, I'd expect a substantial discount. I'd let him make the first call on price and then hit him with the, "Come on Cuz ... we're soon-to-be relatives" line and then throw the smile and the coy wink his way. It always works for me. ;)

I just bought one (360) for $300. Missing the intake. But it was a 2 barrel. So I didn't care.

It was pulled out 4 months ago did offer $250.00 for it to him.Called him and he said deal.I have bought from Jake before,honest to me and never been burned on anything from him yet.

Sounds like you'll do just fine. You'll need a 360 car oil pan and pick-up tube though to finish the job.

Last edited:
I guess you know about the trans cause U posted at 7:27. lol

I guess you know about the trans cause U posted at 7:27. lol
I have a friend into Mopars and he mentioned that I have to change the torque converter as well going to the 360.
Sounds like you'll do just fine. You'll need a 360 car oil pan and pick-up tube though to finish the job.
I have access to the 360 car oil pan and pick up tube.Machine shop I have my engine machine work done at said they are mine picking them up tomorrow.Called the owner tonight I know very well,gave them to me

I would get a balanced flexplate. That way you can always run a neutral balanced converter. much easier when doing swaps.

I had 2 360"s on CL for a while.
ended up scrapping them.
cant keep everything

Confirm the trans IS a 727. Most 273's came with the 904 trans.

The 727; to the best of my knowledge; was never factory installed in a early "A", there is no room for it unless you make some hammer adjustments to the tunnel.

I would get a balanced flexplate. That way you can always run a neutral balanced converter. much easier when doing swaps.
I think you mean un-balanced flextplate.

OP, you need to have some imbalance in either the TC or the flexplate with the 360. )One or the other, not both.) You could keep the present TC if you used the imbalanced flexplate. Here is one for the 727; there is a similar one from B&M for the 904. These are good items and run about $100.
B&M 10236: SFI-Approved Flexplate 1971-1992 Small Block Chrysler 360 with TF727 | JEGS

Or, you can weld a weight in the right place on the TC.

One advantage to changing the TC however, is that the 'snout' of the TC will be smaller on the 273 than on the 360. So, if you use the present TC, you would need a small ring shaped spacer to go inside the crank register (the hole in the back end of the crankshaft). Some members here offer them IIRC.

I think you mean un-balanced flextplate.
Actually.... it's balanced. Balanced for the 360. Read your advertisement for the B&M flexplate. It's called externally balanced. :) Other wise it's called neutral balanced.

Actually.... it's balanced. Balanced for the 360. Read your advertisement for the B&M flexplate. It's called externally balanced. :) Other wise it's called internally balanced.

Like the early 340 crankshafts (from 1968 through 1971 model years) --- the flex plate required for a 727 attached to an internally balanced engine like the early 340s is an internally balanced flex plate.

Take a look at the crankshaft damper --- internally balanced cranks have specific notch markings noted on the damper.

Externally balanced cranks use dampers with add-on weight slugs that are easy to spot.

Confirm the trans IS a 727. Most 273's came with the 904 trans.
It is a 904 and will be upgraded to the 727.One transmission repair shop I got has one has a 727 ready to go,he rebuilt it with high performance parts in it.Said it is mine.I did get the car oil pan and pick up tube today.Traded oil pans and pick up tubes.Machine shop I go needed a 360 truck oil pan and pick up tube and I got the car oil pan and pick up tube

Actually.... it's balanced. Balanced for the 360. Read your advertisement for the B&M flexplate. It's called externally balanced. :) Other wise it's called neutral balanced.
Calling a flexplate that has the notch out of it 'balanced' is likely confusing to new folks. By itself, it is unbalanced..... so you might have been confusing the OP. Just make it easy to understand.

It is a 904 and will be upgraded to the 727.One transmission repair shop I got has one has a 727 ready to go,he rebuilt it with high performance parts in it.Said it is mine.

My complete early '72 360 4 speed engine cost me $200.00 and is in great shape. There are a couple of mid to 70's running 360 engines for under $150.00 each right now or a decent '79 core to rebuild for $50.00 around here right now.

Any particular reason you want a 727? A 904 with some upgrades will handle anything up to 600hp and quite a bit more with some extra work. A 727 will cost you power to the rear wheels, decrease gas mileage and weigh more. You can also get a wide ratio gear set for a 904 really cheap too and provide a nice increase in torque multiplication. This can allow you to use a gear choice for better gas mileage without a loss of torque when launching your car or increase the torque output when launched for even better performance when compared to a 727.

Calling a flexplate that has the notch out of it 'balanced' is likely confusing to new folks. By itself, it is unbalanced..... so you might have been confusing the OP. Just make it easy to understand.
I've just brought the 318 flex plate to the machine shop and told them to balance it for the 360. They welded a weight inbetween one of the arches. Both times I've done it this way it has worked great. I have one of them on one of my Dusters now.

P.S. - Calling parts incorrectly will certainly confuse new folks. Send them looking for something that doesn't exist. (lol)
To the OP, correct term is balanced flex plate to use a slant six, 318, or 340 torque converter behind your 360. You can buy one from B&M, or you can have the one behind your 273 balanced for a 360.
And to be sure there is no confusion, the 360 is externally balanced, meaning you balance the converter or flex plate to balance the motor (externally is outside the motor). So, when you balance the flex plate, your actually balancing the motor by weighting the flex plate (or converter).

Last edited:
I am looking into buying an used 360 for my 1965 Dodge Dart project.Says it does turn over and he does keep it up sealed up in his shed.My fiancée Brent's cousin Jake has it and said it is mine for a good price.Said it did run very good before it was pulled out of a 1979 Dodge 3/4 ton truck.It is going to replace a worn out 273 that smokes a lot.I do know that the torque converter has to be changed as well because the 360 torque converter has a counter weight on it.My dart does have the 727 automatic.What is good price for this 360?I plan on tearing it down anyway.
(2) 360 "center sump" pans, an 876 which the sump starts ~2" back from a vertical plumb line straight down from the very front of the front pan lip and the 392 which is ~4". Both sumps are ~8" long. measure how much clearance the same dimentions are on the 273 pan & the clearance to the front of the Kmember to see if you need the 392 or if either will work. They each take a different pickup from each other & if one of em matches the 273 sump dimentions then highly likely the 273 pickup would work if you are going to strip it. You can use the 273 iron pump on the 360 t cover if you are keeping the same radiator otherwise the alum pump is much thicker & pulley adjustments will be needed (not fun). As said take care of the balance and plug the AIR holes in the heads & likely will need a slight mtr mt adjustment on the dr side (spacers/shims) cuz the block ears on the blocks are spaced slightly different between the 273 and the 360.

I'd run the 904 behind that combo all day long! you already own it, use it!

Don't forget that you'll need the 360 style engine mount brackets that are different than the 273 ones that you have.

I have a friend into Mopars and he mentioned that I have to change the torque converter as well going to the 360.

I have access to the 360 car oil pan and pick up tube.Machine shop I have my engine machine work done at said they are mine picking them up tomorrow.Called the owner tonight I know very well,gave them to me
If I remember correctly you can save money by keeping the same torque convertor and using a flex plate with the balancing weights on it.

-
Back