Useing an arc welder

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a welder from my grandfather a couple of weeks ago. When I picked it up, I found that it was an arc welder.

Question #1: Will this work as well as a mig welder for bodywork?

It has the 220 or 240 volt tri-slotted plug like an old clothes dryer but my home doesnt have the correct outlet for it.

Question #2: Does anyone know where I can find an adapter to plug it into a 110 volt plug?

Question #3: Is that possible?:scratch:

Thanks for your help guys.

DSC00007.JPG

It's a 220v welder.... you can't run it on 110v. the only welder that will do both voltages is an inverter based unit.

forget about using it for sheet metal bodywork. Frame repairs are OK with it.

It's a 220v welder.... you can't run it on 110v. the only welder that will do both voltages is an inverter based unit.

forget about using it for sheet metal bodywork. Frame repairs are OK with it.

Not to nit pick, but the complexity of an inverter is not necessary to make the unit operate at 110 or 220. Just an additional tap on the primary transformer that uses 1/2 the windings will allow the same unit to run on either 110 or 220, very simple and very cheap.

But even if the unit is switchable assuming the welder requires some where near the 50 Amp rating of that particular plug in the photo it would require double the current to run it at 110v and you could never do it on a standard household 15 or 20 amp circuit.

I tapped the 220V at the clothes dryer upstairs to power to my welder outlet in the basement. Cant run both at one time but thats not a problem.
With the correct rods and settings you can weld anything you wish with that unit from sheet metal to cast iron.

Hey guys, I got a welder from my grandfather a couple of weeks ago. When I picked it up, I found that it was an arc welder.

Question #1: Will this work as well as a mig welder for bodywork?

It has the 220 or 240 volt tri-slotted plug like an old clothes dryer but my home doesnt have the correct outlet for it.

Question #2: Does anyone know where I can find an adapter to plug it into a 110 volt plug?

Question #3: Is that possible?:scratch:
This will not work as well as a MIG but it is possible to do body work with. Not easy and not clean, if you can afford it get a MIG.

I use nothing but a stick (arc) welder since that's all i can afford.

-
Back