Using 318 mounts on a 360 .......

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Putting headers on a Duster and had a good shot at the motor mount so I thought I'd post.

Seems a lot of people get hung up on using the 318 mounts on a 360. It's as simple as this: It's only the drivers side and you only need a simple spacer. I used a nut that was the right distance.

DSCN1742.JPG

Some people like to do things the right way. I was lucky to score a pair of 360 mounts last year at Carlisle. Why Chrysler did that just doesn't make sense, different motor mounts for the same family of Engines. Now we can only get the mount from schumacher or like me lucky from someone selling the right mounts.

Some people like to do things the right way. I was lucky to score a pair of 360 mounts last year at Carlisle. Why Chrysler did that just doesn't make sense, different motor mounts for the same family of Engines. Now we can only get the mount from schumacher or like me lucky from someone selling the right mounts.
Unless it's a factory resto to the very nut and bolt, I think I did it the right way. It's really unnoticeable, and serves as well as what you may consider "the right way".

Not criticizing your fix, just that I feel better using the right part when possible.

Not criticizing your fix, just that I feel better using the right part when possible.
I know what you meant. But it still gets posted here a lot, and I thought if 1 or 2 people can get their project past this hurdle they can move on to the next, then yippeee. Many really don't understand what you mean by "spacer". I thought a picture might help. I've done this more than once.

I just sent my 318 mount back to shumacker the other day he is gonna swap out the left 318 one for the 360 one. But yes this would have worked fine!

You would really hate the slant6 to 360 mounts we made for my son's valiant! And the ones I made for my wife's 3g hemi in her satellite, but they work.

You would really hate the slant6 to 360 mounts we made for my son's valiant! And the ones I made for my wife's 3g hemi in her satellite, but they work.
I'm all for creating something from stuff I have laying around as long as it is safe and it works. I didn't have to knowledge to do the engine conversion mounts so I just bought them.

Did that to my first 340 in a 65 A (came like that) and have been doing it that way since then with another 340 and a 360.

As long as the spacer is very tight, and everything is locked down solid, the force on the bolt and lug will remain mostly 'in shear', and this looks OK in that case. If it gets even a bit loose, then the there will a twisting force on the lug in particular that will get a lot higher than with the proper mount, and that has some increased potential to snap off the lug on a hard bump. So if you do it this way, make sure everything locks down very tight and stays locked tight.

Refer to picture: I would suggest a flat washer and lock washer on the nut side for better locking.

You can also use 64-66 273 mount brackets by welding in a triangle of steel and drilling a hole. You still need the spacer like with the 318 mount as well. Here is the plans for this mod. :

IMG_4200.JPG

IMG_4201.JPG

Spacer is roughly 1/2" thick. I have a SAAB 340 aircraft overhead bin spacer thats made from aluminum i plan on using. 318 mounts on a 360. Spacer it, use longer grade 8 bolt, head on down the road.

It works and that's what matters. Been done that way for as long as the 340/360 ear change has been around. Some 10 second and better race cars have that hillbilly fix. If you have the correct mount, great. Got a welder, fix it that way or make a fancy shim. Same result.

:thumbsup:

I just happened to see it when I was installing the Doug's. Thought, why not post a pix, might help someone
I know that you told me a couple weeks ago that it would work with a spacer I wasnt really sure what you where talking about lol. Now I get it I understand what you meant know but unfortunately I have already sent mine back lol. Hopefully I will get the right one this time around.

Good info and for me, good timing! Willrun you da man!
thanks. This post right here by moparmandan is the reason I posted. Looks like "just in time" ... LOL Always happy to help...… :)

Last edited:
There's zero wrong with that. I guess if you wanted to, you could get some steel tube such as an alternator spacer and cut the correct length, then weld it onto the bracket. Once dressed and painted, it would look like a factory job. But I'd sling that nut in there so quick, it'd make your head spin.

Thanks pal. You saved me some agrivation. Had no idea. Would have been scratching my rookie *** on Saturday when I try set the motor in. Got my mounts today and checked. Sure as ****.........
20190327_183812.jpg

-
Back