using a gear drive on a 440 nosiy ?

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
so...back in the day... racers used gear drives..now we are building a 440 and have read that they are nosiy ...issues ?

so...back in the day... racers used gear drives..now we are building a 440 and have read that they are nosiy ...issues ?

Yea they can be noisy (whiney) and usually are, we used to call them the poor mans blower cuss that's what they sounded like with the hood down.

Terry

how about horse power...back in the day it was stated they added a little because of their efficent way..??

Some of the Pete Jackson gear drives for Chevys was ground on purpose to make noise and then you could order the quiet ones. Of course they didn't make them at the time for Mopar.

My friend had a "noisy" one in his 66 chevy... we would ride around and everyone first question was "What the heck you got in that thing!"

how about horse power...back in the day it was stated they added a little because of their efficent way..??

If you're looking for rock steady timing using a distributor and running close tolerances between the valves and pistons at overlap and chasing that couple 10's then they have their purpose in life.

Terry

Can't wait to hear the gear drive installed in my Demon with an exhaust system. 8)

Had it while racing, but couldn't hear it...LOL

I always heard that they robbed HP.

For the most part they do rob HP and are only really needed at a specific level of performance/rpm. Most of us that run them on the street and on street/strip cars know that we are basically running them for the cool factor and defending their use is just an attempt to justify it.

When I told my engine builder I was going to run these, he started off with, "Are you sure because ..." I interrupted him and told that I knew I was taking a HP hit but I was ok with it because 1) my vehicles are street/strip (or what I like to call heavy street) cars & I didn't need to get every bit out of them, 2) because I have been running gear drives since the mid-80's & 3) because I dig the sound. Granted, all of mine are SBs and the whine is contained quite a bit behind the cast timing chain covers but there is definitely a whine. BBs (depending on the cover) are going to be quite a bit louder.

Dual Idler Gear Drive
Chrysler383/426/440/Hemi,Noisy
PET426-12CN $229.99

The original dual idler gear drive. No timing chain to stretch. As simple to install as a stock timin.5.5g chain. Dyno test show no loss in horsepower and the ultimate in cam timing accuracy. Fits under stock cover. Complete kit includes offset cam bushings, roller thrust button, bronze thrust ring, locking cam plate and bolts. These dual idler kits are available two ways - Relatively quiet or (N) noisy (mild supercharger sound).
http://www.dougherbert.com/dualidlergeardrive-p-16976.html

Pretty nice price! I wanna build a turbo truck engine.....hmmmmm

watch

if I had 5000 H.P. I could deal with that......case I could'nt hear/feel it !

Leave the gear drives for the chevy guys... there's no real reason to get one...

Years ago a gear drive was the most accurate way to drive a cam, and allowed easy cam timing changes. The Pete Jacksons are no better than a chain. They are not anywhere near "the ultimate"....lol. Milodons are what I use. They are a $500 plus installation time really cool noise. If you are interested in the ultimate, that would be the Jesel belt drive. The belt technology did not exist years ago to have thme be reliable. Nowadays they are great, silent, take less power, and dampen valvetrain harmonics in addition to dead nuts cam timing and easy changes.

I could see that whine getting old REALLY quickly. That would drive me NUTS on a long cruise.

I like a nice engine rumble. I dislike the whine of timing gears. The sterio bass boom I dislike even more.
Everyone who has driven an electric car comments on the lack of any engine sound, "Takes a while to get used to". I suppose that applies to any change. I couldn't even get use to an inside hood pull in my 67 so tossing coins at timing gears is definately a no for me. Different strokes for different folks. :)

I like a nice engine rumble. I dislike the whine of timing gears. The sterio bass boom I dislike even more.
Everyone who has driven an electric car comments on the lack of any engine sound, "Takes a while to get used to". I suppose that applies to any change. I couldn't even get use to an inside hood pull in my 67 so tossing coins at timing gears is definately a no for me. Different strokes for different folks. :)

I think I am going buy a set of noisy gears install them on my car, take this old subwoofer box I got and throw it in back. Then ride up to your place and drive up and down your road in front of the house about 11 o'clock. Would that be alright with you Ben?

I dont think there's much sweeter sound than a high compression, large exh pipe, and large cam with a gear drive. Much better than a turbo whine or blower whine IMO. The only vehicle I've had radios in were my 4 cylinder commuters.

Radio, don't need no stinking radio, my boy asked me when I was going to put speakers in the doors instead of just in the rear window, I damned near ***** slapped him.:-D:-D:-D

Terry

Years ago a gear drive was the most accurate way to drive a cam, and allowed easy cam timing changes. The Pete Jacksons are no better than a chain. They are not anywhere near "the ultimate"....lol. Milodons are what I use. They are a $500 plus installation time really cool noise. If you are interested in the ultimate, that would be the Jesel belt drive. The belt technology did not exist years ago to have thme be reliable. Nowadays they are great, silent, take less power, and dampen valvetrain harmonics in addition to dead nuts cam timing and easy changes.

As Moper was saying, if you are not going with the higher end Jesel, Milodon is the way to go. I have three of their SB setups. One interesting change I noticed (between one of my original setups from the mid-80s and one of their new ones) was that there were some slight mods to the mounting plate. When I called up Milodon, they explained that it was in order to have the SB setup work on the old hemis (392, 354, etc.). Nothing but a couple of extra mounting holes and there is a brand new application for this setup. Kind of cool.

Radio, don't need no stinking radio, my boy asked me when I was going to put speakers in the doors instead of just in the rear window, I damned near ***** slapped him.:-D:-D:-D

Terry

Right on Terry! I haven't had a stereo in the '69 Barracuda for almost 10 years. Although, at one time, I did have a monstrous system in there ... backseat replaced by a speaker board, 19 Hart & Cerwin-Vega speakers. Nakamichi head unit, 4 amps (Nakamichi & Carver), AudioCross electronic crossover and miles of Monster Gold RCA cabling and speaker wire.

Boy, how things change when you get older. ;)

I got no stereo and no sound deadener at all any where. The last thing I need is to add more noise. The rear end whine is enough for me. LOL

Right on Terry! I haven't had a stereo in the '69 Barracuda for almost 10 years. Although, at one time, I did have a monstrous system in there ... backseat replaced by a speaker board, 19 Hart & Cerwin-Vega speakers. Nakamichi head unit, 4 amps (Nakamichi & Carver), AudioCross electronic crossover and miles of Monster Gold RCA cabling and speaker wire.

Boy, how things change when you get older. ;)

I don't have a radio in my cuda but I got a pretty loud system in my truck. I'm running a 2000watt subwoofer amp with 1000watts going to each sub. Custom built the sub box to fit behind my seat in a 03 regular cab Ram. And a list of amps, speakers, so forth to go with the JVC headunit. I hardly ever turn it on now! I have a police scanner that I listen to going down the road. I have dodged some traffic jams with it and might have saved me from a few speeding tickets.

I was picking on RedFish but I don't think he has seen my previous post yet.

I think I am going buy a set of noisy gears install them on my car, take this old subwoofer box I got and throw it in back. Then ride up to your place and drive up and down your road in front of the house about 11 o'clock. Would that be alright with you Ben?

Redfish, is your name Ben as well? Mully, for a minute, I thought you might be referring to me (even though you quoted Red's post). If that was the case, I was going to suggest that I pull the Barracuda out and we could zip up and down the street together. ;) BTW: Save up for gas money. That's going to be a long drive to CA.

Redfish, is your name Ben as well? Mully, for a minute, I thought you might be referring to me (even though you quoted Red's post). If that was the case, I was going to suggest that I pull the Barracuda out and we could zip up and down the street together. ;) BTW: Save up for gas money. That's going to be a long drive to CA.

LOL!

OK sorry about that!

Man I would love to afford to do something like that.

-
Back