Using a Name in The Racing Business

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
I'm curious. When I was racing in the 80's and 90's, I registered my racing as a non-profit business. Does anyone still do that? I raced a '67 Camaro at US131 and Mid-Michigan Motorplex under "Camaro Fever Racing." It was lettered on the car like they did in the 60's. It was registered under sport recreation. I think I still have my business license filed somewhere.

Sounds like Monkey Bizness. Wait a minute, hold the fort - you're saying I can write off all the money I spent on the race car? I'M RICH !!!!

In FL, you have to pay about $175 in license fees and certs per year.

You also have to be careful what you write off because of the "audit trigger" possibility.

Remember "write off's" are not always a 100% deduction, with most being about 20%.

...also if you let the entity go dormant (not paying the licensure), it's a $400 reinstatement fee.

j par, they say "Its easy to make a small fortune in Racing, you just have to start with a large one."

...also depending on what the state clarifies your "business", as you'll have to file either yearly, quarterly or monthly taxes.

What business does your car advertise for?

If you mention my name, they will give you a good seat....

I advertise my racing name, my buddy's car trailer building business, and I might put my cousin's mortgage company on it.

If you are selling advertising, I'm sure that's taxable and your state will want a piece of it.

Plus, any equipment actually owned by the business (IE if you try to use your tax cert in order to not pay sales tax on it), usually has to be declared and can also be taxed after a certain value.

If you are selling advertising, I'm sure that's taxable and your state will want a piece of it.

Plus, any equipment actually owned by the business (IE if you try to use your tax cert in order to not pay sales tax on it), usually has to be declared and can also be taxed after a certain value.
Just a note. Purchase of equipment (in my state anyway) can be bought sales tax exempt only if it is used directly to produce a product and then you need a sales tax permit and file sales tax monthly or quarterly reports.

Talk to your CPA...I also believe you will be placed under a different set of DOT regs when you are towing as you are now a "Business"....

Here's a good description of what a non profit is. If it's not what you do with your race car you shouldn't do it.
Definition: A business organization that serves some public purpose and therefore enjoys special treatment under the law. Nonprofit corporations, contrary to their name, can make a profit but can't be designed primarily for profit-making. .

When it comes to your business structure, have you thought about organizing your venture as a nonprofit corporation? Unlike a for-profit business, a nonprofit may be eligible for certain benefits, such as sales, property and income tax exemptions at the state level. The IRS points out that while most federal tax-exempt organizations are nonprofit organizations, organizing as a nonprofit at the state level doesn't automatically grant you an exemption from federal income tax.

Another major difference between a profit and nonprofit business deals with the treatment of the profits. With a for-profit business, the owners and shareholders generally receive the profits. With a nonprofit, any money that's left after the organization has paid its bills is put back into the organization. Some types of nonprofits can receive contributions that are tax deductible to the individual who contributes to the organization. Keep in mind that nonprofits are organized to provide some benefit to the public.

Nonprofits are incorporated under the laws of the state in which they are established. To receive federal tax-exempt status, the organization must apply with the IRS. Two applications are required. First, you must request an Employer Identification Number (EIN) and then apply for recognition of exemption by filing Form 1023 (Charitable Organizations) or 1024 (Other Tax-Exempt Organizations), with the necessary filing fee.

The IRS identifies the different types of nonprofit organizations by the tax code by which they qualify for exempt status. One of the most common forms is 501(c)(3), which is set up to do charitable, educational, scientific, religious and literary work. This includes a wide range of organizations, from continuing education centers to outpatient clinics and hospitals.

The IRS also mandates that there are certain activities tax-exempt organizations can't engage in if they want to keep their exempt status. For example, a section 50l(c)(3) organization cannot intervene in political campaigns.

Remember, nonprofits still have to pay employment taxes, but in some states they may be exempt from paying sales tax. Check with your state to make sure you understand how nonprofit status is treated in your area. In addition, nonprofits may be hit with unrelated business income tax. This is regular income from a trade or business that is not substantially related to the charitable purpose. An exempt organization with $1,000 or more of gross income from an unrelated business must file Form 990-T and pay tax on the income.

If your nonprofit has revenues of more than $25,000 a year, you must file an annual report (Form 990) with the IRS. Form 990-EZ is a shortened version of 990 and is designed for use by small exempt organizations with total assets at the end of the year of less than $25,000. Form 990 asks you to provide information on the organization's income, expenses and staff salaries that exceed $50,000. You also may have to comply with a similar state requirement.

-
Back