Using cheap cell phones, for cheap Wi-fi......

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Using my usual cell phone,for a cheap Wi -Fi connection ( Android on a borrowed trial basis. Download the app, has anyone here tried, this before ? )The cell phone company lets it run on the phone. for 15 bucks ,more a month. ( The cell phone in question, has the built in service) Any advice, would be appreciated.

if you are connected to a Wi-Fi connection then it wont cost anything. I use an android phone with no sim card to surf the web in the house (bathroom) on the house Wi-Fi and it costs nothing. Without a sim card it cannot make or receive phone calls but its exactly like having a very small computer for web surfing.

It wont work outside the house, out of the range of the wi-fi because then it looks for the air signal that you get from the phone service which they will charge in some cases for data usage.

Even if you have a sim card in the phone and a phone service, as long as you can connect to your household Wi-Fi it wont cost anything or go against your data usage from the phone company at all until you leave the wi-fi signal range.

I have an old verizon plan with the grandfathered unlimited data on 2 lines. I bought a Verizon MB1515 4g lte router for $70 on ebay. I just use one of my unlimited lines for internet because of my rural location. It cost's me less than $40/mo to use the router and have unlimited internet. You can buy an old plan from someone and do an AOL (Assumption of Liability) and use an unlimited data plan to do the same thing. You won't get unlimited talk, but I have unlimited text/data which is more important to me. I have 4 lines on my account and with the "Friends/Family" feature only use about 300 of my anytime minutes. It costs me $225/mo for my plan which is the internet, and cell service for myself, wife, and mother.

9.53 MB down, 1.66 MB up proof here.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3929383553

Please note, that this photo is for one line and June/July exceeded 100 gigs, so I don't know why they show 0.0 usage.

Attachments

• data usage.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 126
There are apps that allow you to create a hotspot for wifi service from your phone. Foxfi is a popular android app to create hotspots.

For better information:
1. What Cellular Provider are you using?
2. What phone are you using?
3. What is your overall goal (i.e. replace home internet, wifi for laptop when out, etc)?
4. How many GBs are you using, and how big is your data plan?

i dont understand this. around here, phone internet is not cheap or free

It costs me $225/mo for my plan which is the internet, and cell service for myself, wife, and mother.

Ouch, that seems high. I have multiple phones on my Sprint plan that runs us about 170 a month.

Unlimited talk, text, data and we both have a "hotspot" so when activated we can use our laptops, anywhere we are at. As long as we have at least 3G it's just as good as my modem at home.

Ouch, that seems high. I have multiple phones on my Sprint plan that runs us about 170 a month.

Unlimited talk, text, data and we both have a "hotspot" so when activated we can use our laptops, anywhere we are at. As long as we have at least 3G it's just as good as my modem at home.

Sprint is horrible where I live. Verizon has great service for me and awesome data bandwidth. That $225 is for 4 lines.

-
Back