using silicon to tack the plastic water barrier on a door?

-

fonzy

Reaction score
Anyone have experience doing this? I tried using the moldable tack stuff but it's a pia and sticks more to me than the door. Anyone have a better alternative? By the way I just painted the inside of my doors and am pleased with my results! I wish I would have taken a before and after pic.

It will work great as long as you can keep the plastic part in place long enough for the silicone to dry.
24hrs would be nice.

On My 69 the front was done with a spray type adhesive.

The rear was done with a white buytle or rope type like used on the heater box.

AC insulation goop. You know, that black sticky stuff you get with an aftermarket AC kit. Also. silicone corrodes metal so I would never use silicone.

Treblig

Silicone = the stuff that comes in tubes that can be used as caulk, sealant, glue, etc...

Silicon = main ingredient in sand. They also make computer chips out of it, somehow.

Just sayin'.

Go to a home improvement store and get some flat foam with sticky on one side. Cut, peel, and stick it on...

AC insulation goop. You know, that black sticky stuff you get with an aftermarket AC kit. Also. silicone corrodes metal so I would never use silicone.

Treblig

I have doors that were put together using that **** over 10 years ago and they still look exactly the way it was put on. it hasn't corroded any metal what so ever

I have doors that were put together using that **** over 10 years ago and they still look exactly the way it was put on. it hasn't corroded any metal what so ever

I guess I should have been more specific!! Silicones that are the acid cure type do cause corrosion, on the other hand.... "neutral" cure silicone (automotive RTV) is what you should use.

Treblig

Where do you get new plastic for the doors and rears? That's where I'm at right now in my project.

I just use the clips that were designed to hold in on there in the first place

Where do you get new plastic for the doors and rears? That's where I'm at right now in my project.

those clips you mean?

I asked the same question a few weeks ago, punch in "duster weatherstrip clips" on ebay

I know it sounds ridiculous but have you tried a mattress store. I found that the heavy clear plastic they use to wrap the mattresses works great!! The stores that sell beds and mattresses usually throw the stuff away in their dumpster out back. The plastic wrap is usually in large flat sections making easy to cut your own to any size you desire

Treblig

For this application, I like what new vehicles have. first I saw was in a import. It's sort of like white lithium grease on a string. Keeps the water out and door remains serviceable too. Peel the shield away, put it right back again.

I manage 2 mattress stores, and agree, we do dispose of a lot of thick plastic bedding bags. Mat not have every time you walk in, but it is an idea, and it would be free. I really don't know about the durability, but I am going to use this on mine.

I bought a roll of 6 mil thick plastic drop cloth from Lowe's this weekend. I got a HUGE roll for $24. It's enough to do 15+ cars. It's just as thick as the original stuff and the same transparent white color as well. Also I used ropecaulk like the heater box uses to hold it up in place. That's about as cheap and original as could be.

I just opened 10 new mattress's and have ton's of plastic. If you wont to try it, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping

I know it sounds ridiculous but have you tried a mattress store. I found that the heavy clear plastic they use to wrap the mattresses works great!! The stores that sell beds and mattresses usually throw the stuff away in their dumpster out back. The plastic wrap is usually in large flat sections making easy to cut your own to any size you desire

Treblig

I never thought of that!

I just opened 10 new mattress's and have ton's of plastic. If you wont to try it, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping

Sure...what would the cost of shipping be?

Joey

-
Back