V21? How many

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Well I finally decided to decode the fender tag from my 73' Duster 340. The car is beyond rough and now seeing V21 I think maybe I should do something with it. Can anyone give any numbers for V21 produced cars? BTW, thank you for the help FABO. You all rock! Here is the decode:

VS29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H30: 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Unknown

XXXXXX: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
JA5: Dark Silver Poly Exterior Color
C6XW: Trim - Charger, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black/White
000: Full Door Panels
B03: Build Date: November 03
488474: Order number

V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
U: USA Specifications
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
C56: Bucket Seats
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror

M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
N95: Emissions Control
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V21: Performance Hood Treatment

V6W: Longitudinal Stripes, White
V8W: Tranverse Stripes, White
26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes

I dont think there is a break down on how many came with the stripe.

Dang, I am curious because I have never seen a car with the performance hood treatment, especially a 73'. The car had a repaint when i got it and I never paid it any mind. Wonder if it is worth restoring?

The research and people I've talked to about the V21 option for the 73 Duster points to - Not Many.....No definite numbers...but been told many times that is was a rarely picked option for the year. You hardly see it.

Yeah you dont see many of them with the hood black out. But you also dont see many 73 Duster restored the way they came new either.

Am I wrong, I was lead to believe that the E55- Engine Code meant
340 CID 4-bbl 240 H.P.
And not 275 H.P. As stated.

Is V21 for '73 the blackouts on either side of the raised portion?

I think the only time I've seen that is on a Twister, which also had the 69 'Cuda scoops.

Thats correct. All twister got it but it was optional on 340 cars also.

Attachments

• scan0006 (Medium).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 346
Am I wrong, I was lead to believe that the E55- Engine Code meant
340 CID 4-bbl 240 H.P.
And not 275 H.P. As stated.

Yeah I just plugged the fender tag in a VIN decoder. So I know the 275 HP isn't correct. This is also a St. Louis Built car.

I think im going to work at restoring this car. It is very rough and was hit in the front 20+ years ago. I may end up replacing the frame structure, depending on the assesed damage. It needs floor pans, quarters, trunkl floor etc. BUT I think a V21 car is a rarity and would look nice beside my V24 71'. I appreciate everyone's input's. Please keep posting the info you have in this thread. It is an interesting option.

That will be a nice looking car

Attachments

• 73ply59206-1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 224
Since his car was optioned with White vinyl top and both stripes; side and rear were white.....I wonder if the v21 hood would have been white instead of black....I'm like 99% sure it would have been black......buts brings up a interesting thought......

There is a big Moparts thread on the V21 option. According to that thread, V21 was ONLY black.

There is a picture in that thread of a gold 72 Cuda with white side stripes, white vinyl top and white interior. Originally, the V21 would have been black BUT, a previous owner repainted them white. With that color combo black would have looked out of place IMO...but that's how they came.

That will be a nice looking car

Man I LOVE that silver! This car is a major major project but I think the end result would be a very unique looking ride. The white/top and stripes with a black hood should be an attention getter (look out of place). This will be a high photo thread when I start. I wish I had the build sheet for particulars like bunper guards and silly things like that. This car is why I have my 70' 340 Duster project up for trade. Thanks guys! Keep the info pouring

-
Back