V8 K-Frame Question

-
Reaction score
I am going to look at a 1972 Duster this weekend. No motor or transmission in the car. Owner said that it was a slant six car but now has a V8 K-Frame. How can I tell if it is a V8 K-Frame? If it is a V8 K-Frame are they all the same? What I want to know is could I put in a 340 or 360 if it was a 318 with different motor mounts?

If you measure between the right side frame rail & the right side engine perch it will be approx 4" for the v8 and 2" for the slant 6 K-frame.

Or, if you could measure the outside width of the engine perches, approx 20" wide for the v8 and 22" wide for the slant 6

If the K frame is a v8 type then all you need to mount a 340 or 360 are the correct motor mount engine "plates". The K frames are the same regardless of whether it was a 273, 318, 340 or 360 original application. It might also have the later spool mounts which are actually better than the old biscuit mounts, the spool mounts are failsafe design - if the rubber wears out the motor is still locked into the K frame. In fact it doesnt really matter what K frame it has - Schumacher makes the pieces to put a small or big block into a /6 K frame or small block K frame, spool or biscuit type mount. If the bodies good buy it if you like the car, it can all be adapted.

k%20frame%201.jpg

-
Back