V8 radiator for slant 6

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
Are there hoses I can get so I can use my SB radiator and just bolt it into my slant 6 Valiant?

Mount your radiator in the car,and get you a coat hanger and bend it to the shape you need, and go down to your neighborhood parts store and try matching it up ! Or,get yourself 2 90* elbows and point them where they should meet.Then go to a hardware store and get yourself a Chrome Sink drain pipe of the right diameter and you have yourself some bling,and a functional hose !! It worked for me !

Coat hanger! Good idea! I was trying to find some thing to make a mock up...coat hanger never came to mind. Now all I need is an idea on how to get some free time...

Or you could just get a slant radiator from a late 70's aspen. I don't do small block stuff, but I remember that some of them do have the lower hose outlet on the correct side of the car. I just don't remember if it pre-1970 or post-1970 cars. I know that the change happened with the redesign of the water pump.

Or you could just get a slant radiator from a late 70's aspen. I don't do small block stuff, but I remember that some of them do have the lower hose outlet on the correct side of the car. I just don't remember if it pre-1970 or post-1970 cars. I know that the change happened with the redesign of the water pump.

76' aspen radiator with out ac fits perfect you just have to drill two holes in the mounting brackets so you can use your four bolts and have to use a slightly longer lower rad hose I think it's either for a truck or for the same 76' aspen I don't remember.

If your car is 64 or earlier, the radiator opening is not 22" wide. Shouldn't matter if the radiator stands off a bit since the air can still flow to get to all the surface. You will need to drill 2 holes further out in the firewall.

70+ V-8's had a 1.75"D lower hose on the passenger side, which works for a slant, but you will need a 1.5" to 1.75" rubber adapter (ebay cheap). The 1.75"D hose might be a problem. The V-8 hose probably won't match the slant's w.p. inlet or snake behind the fan belt correctly. Pre-70 V-8's had a 1.5"D lower hose like the slant, but on the driver's side so no use to you. Also, those round-top radiator are notorious for splitting a seam anyway. As 64drtGT suggests, a 76 slant radiator would be the best fit. Just get one for an AC car and should work. A Dayco 70776 hose worked for the lower on my 64 slant w/ 70+ slant non-AC radiator (I think).

i have a really nice slant radiator out of my 73 duster, but im in colorado, if you want to pay shipping you can have it for 40 bucks. thats not a hole , its just wet

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 311
  • rad1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 291
The radiator 73AbodEE shows looks very similar to the one in my 64 Dart (non-original), except mine doesn't have the recessed fill cap, holes for the shroud, and mine has more space from the brackets to the core probably because mine may be only 1-core. I think those with the wide filler plate are intended for non-AC. They will fit a 64 if you drill 4 holes.

Just go buy the lower radiator hose for a 2006 Magnum with a 5.7 V8. You could probably put the radiator in the back seat with that hose.

look up an image for a Dayco 72281 on Rock Auto.

B.

WOW! Looks like I could upper + lower hoses outa that! Any idea where I can find the hose diameter on that to make sure it will work?

Either end will fit on a 1.5 inch hose nipple. I just shoved a 318 thermostat housing in both ends of one of those hoses.

It is slightly different sizes on either end, but the "big" end can be trimmed off too - it only steps up for about 1.5 inches. The "big" end will fit on a 1.625 nipple with a shove too.

Over at HAMB where 50% of the cars are swaps, and the others have no hoses available anyway that is a popular hose to cut up.

B.

The radiator 73AbodEE shows looks very similar to the one in my 64 Dart (non-original), except mine doesn't have the recessed fill cap, holes for the shroud, and mine has more space from the brackets to the core probably because mine may be only 1-core. I think those with the wide filler plate are intended for non-AC. They will fit a 64 if you drill 4 holes.

i guess i could have mentioned it is a manual trans ,non AC ,2 core

-
Back