v8 schumacher kits

-

Randy retro

Reaction score
I need info on ordering headers and mounts for my 73 duster for B/B any good leads ?

I have 73 dart sport and went with the schumacher kit and didn't have a problem

I bought the Schumacher complete kit (Motor Mounts, Torque Strap, Tri-Ys) for my '68 Dart GT's conversion (273ci ----> 383ci ).

Excellent product.

Very happy with the quality of the kit and ease of installation..

-

I have the shumacher kit for BB in the previous gen 72 and down. Good stuff!

I've never said there was anything wrong with Schumacher's products, but IN MY OPINION if you are working with a 73-76 V8 k-member building your own Direct Connection k-member is the better way to go. If you've already got the k-member it is also cheaper. Save the $100-150 for something else.

I've never said there was anything wrong with Schumacher's products, but IN MY OPINION if you are working with a 73-76 V8 k-member building your own Direct Connection k-member is the better way to go. If you've already got the k-member it is also cheaper. Save the $100-150 for something else.

Explain why its a better way to go? Go to Creativeserves.com. for mounts. The Schumacher kit is ready to install, just cut the clearance for the oil puimp, mounts, drill holes and set it in. Everything is nice and straight, no guessing on weather you did weld it right. Plus if you decide to go back to the original set up, just change the mounts, weld pieces you cut back in from the original mounts on the K-frame and do the easy swap back. Schumacher is the way to do it.

Attachments

• eng1.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 694
For the 67-72 K, conversion mounts are the way to go in my opinion, but that wasn't the question. Having seen two of Jim's modded 73+ K members in operation compared to the schumacher setup, I would mod the K. It looks cleaner when done. The drivers side mount area ends up being less of a cluster fudge.

hey there where did you boy your kit? not verry computer savy i tried google and other sites no luck my car is a 250 6 any good advice? thanks randy

Has anyone ever built their own custom motor mounts for this swap? Its hard to take the hit and pay the pretty penny for the shumacher kit when It seems like it could be accomplished with a little welding and a few good measurments

Many folks over the years have made their own mounts. Some better than others. I like the Direct Connection method, but you can also use the earlier big block mounts. Fitment starts at the trans mount. After that the engine offset and height need to be proper (see the tech pages at Big Block Dart).

I looked at the k-member modification and liked how simple and straight-forward it seemed. What is the solution for the headers if you go down the mod road? Schumacher? I have a '73 Duster with a 225/6.

The exhaust set up for a big block duster is somewhat limited.
If you go with a B instead of RB, (383,400 vs 413-440) you will have more exhaust clearance to work with which on these cars is critical as there is limited exhaust room as it is.

All exhaust choices except the stock manifolds involve major$$$$$

Fendrewells: have seen may fenderwell sets that required the use of skinny front rims and tires to provide enough tire clearance so that they won't rub

Traditional headers with "equal length tubes:very tight fitting with various clearance problems

Non traditional such as Schumacher: probably the best fitting out of the box, however they are the "tri y" design without all tubes being equal length and even though they will bolt on and fit fairly well, their design is not conducive to high horsepower high winding application but better suited for low and mid range operations

B and C body big block manifolds: I believe that milling the B driver side 1/16 of an inch will allow you to get a set in an A body without major frigging

On a budget---stock manifolds
Low frigging and chiseling factor---Schumaker

Jim,
If I wasn't so lazy all my A-body's would have The modified k-frames especially if running on the street.

Also Headman B-body headers will work.
There's a post here and BBD on how I did it .

I used the schumacher kit...mounts headers and torque strap! It was a pretty simple and everything fit well and engine sat level! I may be out growing the headers with the latest mods...I am putting in a higher stahl tomorrow to see if that helps! Motor should be making 550 - 575 hp. You can get a lot of ideas on how to mount a big block but I liked the fact of having all new mounts and hardware on my wreck :)

-
Back