vacuum advance

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I have a accel 59301 dist in the dart. I had the car dyno tuned last summer. The tech working on it said that the ported vacuum would be the best but since my holley 4150 hp dp only has a manifold vacuum port it would have to do. From what I have read the only difference between manifold and ported vacuum is with ported vacuum there is 0 vacuum at idle. So after a bunch of reading I would like to know at what vacuum my accel 59301 vacuum can advances the timing. I have a large cam and at idle it only pulls 5" I have read a bunch on it and its hard to decipher who is right. Having such a low reading at idle it shouldn't matter if I am using manifold vacuum because it shouldn't engage until at least 8"-15" right?

I run manifold vac.seems to idle smoother and cooler,still does what it is supposed to at cruise.Of course I've got more vacuum.

what are the odds of finding a vacuum canister that engages less than 5".

I'm not really sure,but you will have some at 5" anyway,just not full stroke of the dashpot.

you are correct it wont move the dash pot till about 10 inchs or so. run it there its fine in my opion. thats the way i have it on my RR it idle at about 5 inchs also. it help keep the plugs cleaned up and not fouling and its a milage increase and my engine runs slightly cooler.

-
Back