Vacuum Gauge pros/cons

-

matthon

Reaction score
On a naturally aspirated engine, what are the benefits of having a vacuum gauge?

Just wondering and I don't see much online on the topic.

I have all the basics covered, oil, temp, volt, but it seems vacuum could be beneficial.

I have the Performance Indicator, however I'm not sure how accurate it is, and it's not working, hooked to any port, since I went to efi.

Pretty handy to adjust carb mixture, but harder to do if it is in the dash

Super handy for adjusting idle, monitoring condition of valves, timing, etc, if you know how to read them. Something is amiss if yours stopped working after a manifold switch. Spare tap on the booster check valve or manifold connection is fine.

Only con I can think of if it leaks, great indicator of engine conditions. Put some tubing on it and suck in it should move the needle then pinch off he tubing end and the vacuum reading should remain (not leaking) All the vacuum gages that I have had all where very reliable.

Vacuum gauges are good to measure your economy when you drive... The higher that you can keep your vacuum, the better your MPG will be... It helps teach you how to drive economically...

Vacuum gauges are good to measure your economy when you drive... The higher that you can keep your vacuum, the better your MPG will be... It helps teach you how to drive economically...

Yup. The later A bodies (for sure 1975) came with a “fuel pacer” option. The driver side top mounted fender turn signal lights up when you’ve got your foot heavy on the gas pedal. Measures manifold vacuum.

I run with a vacuum gauge and a A/F gauge. It really helps you fine tune your carb for the best economy and power.

Just follow a Pree-*** driver and you won't need one. They use the "rolling slow roadblock" strategy

Intention of in-dash vacuum gauges was fuel economy. In addition we were advised to drive as though there was an egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

Google images, vacuum gauge readings. This gauge is a diagnostic tool.

-
Back