Valiant -64 7.25 rear spider gears do not fit

-

MorganKane

Reaction score
I ordered spider gear set from rockauto:

But they do not fit. Side gears go in place without problem but spider gears do not.
It looks like there is no enought space to turn them in to place.
Service manual just states that spider gears should turn in place without any tool.

After better look it seems that new gears are bigger. At first I thought that old ones are only so weared out but even side gear diameter seems to be bigger.

Rockauto and summit catalogs both offers this kit for -64 rear end. What am I missing:wtf:

In picture new gears are left and old ones in right.

IMG20240415193502.jpg

I thought we verified to you in another thread that they would not work. Was that someone else?

I thought we verified to you in another thread that they would not work. Was that someone else?
I checked posts to my threads and didn't find any comments where this was mentioned. So I think it was somebody else.
I did search but didn't find any relevant content, maybe my keywords were not good.

If those do not fit, which rearend they are meant to? And is there right ones available and how to double check that they will fit?
I thought that 7.25, 9-bolt would all be same but I propably was wrong again. :(

I checked posts to my threads and didn't find any comments where this was mentioned. So I think it was somebody else.
I did search but didn't find any relevant content, maybe my keywords were not good.

If those do not fit, which rearend they are meant to? And is there right ones available and how to double check that they will fit?
I thought that 7.25, 9-bolt would all be same but I propably was wrong again. :(
It may have been. My memory isn't what it used to be. I'm sorry you found out the hard way. That stuff is for the Dakota 7.25.

Ok, thanks. I am confuced that rockauto offers it to valiant -64.
Is there correct parts available somewhere, do you know?

I'm surprised it's listed for it in Rock auto. Usually, they are pretty good. Call and return them.

I see you're in Finland, so
before you send them back;
1a) does the Cross pin fit into the case, and can it be secured in place with the screw or pin? and
1b) do the splines fit your axles? and
1c) will the C-clips go back in?
If yes to all three; I gotta say this; yur more than halfway home.
2) So then, take all the washers out and leave them on the workbench., then
3) try to put all the gears into the case without them.
If they can be installed in there and the crosspin slid in, then Yur three-quarters of the way home.
But if no, well then yur SOL, without machining.
4) But if you can get them in there, then all you gotta do is see if you can fit one or two side washers in there, leaving a lil backlash on the pinions.
Now;
> I have seen rearends without washers on the pinions, so for me, NOT running them would not scare me.
> And while the sidegears should have washers as a normal wear item, If I couldn't fit them, being halfway round the world, I'd still run without them, no big deal, it ain't a wristwatch.
> But running at least some backlash is necessary; it can be close to zero when the parts are at operating temperature , but never less than zero.
5) if you get them in there, without washers; run a synthetic oil, for longevity.
6) But if they won't fit no how, I would be tempted to just take the case to a machine shop, with the gears and tell him to make it fit, it's just not that big an operation.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I am confuced that rockauto offers it to valiant -64.
Is there correct parts available somewhere, do you know?
Negative. Nobody makes anything. .....and I mean nobody. lol

I see you're in Finland, so
before you send them back;
1a) does the Cross pin fit into the case, and can it be secured in place with the screw or pin? and
1b) do the splines fit your axles? and
1c) will the C-clips go back in?
If yes to all three; I gotta say this; yur more than halfway home.
2) So then, take all the washers out and leave them on the workbench., then
3) try to put all the gears into the case without them.
If they can be installed in there and the crosspin slid in, then Yur three-quarters of the way home.
But if no, well then yur SOL, without machining.
4) But if you can get them in there, then all you gotta do is see if you can fit one or two side washers in there, leaving a lil backlash on the pinions.
Now;
> I have seen rearends without washers on the pinions, so for me, NOT running them would not scare me.
> And while the sidegears should have washers as a normal wear item, If I couldn't fit them, being halfway round the world, I'd still run without them, no big deal, it ain't a wristwatch.
> But running at least some backlash is necessary; it can be close to zero when the parts are at operating temperature , but never less than zero.
5) if you get them in there, without washers; run a synthetic oil, for longevity.
6) But if they won't fit no how, I would be tempted to just take the case to a machine shop, with the gears and tell him to make it fit, it's just not that big an operation.
THAT GEAR KIT WILL NOT WORK. PERIOD. It is not for the A body rear axle. It is for the Dakota 7.25.

Yes, I can now confirm that this kit does not work what is somewhat strange because:
- Side gears are perfect fit to diff chassis and drive axles
- Cross pin fits to old and new gears and to diff chassis

But gears do not fit with or without washers.
I even tried to use new side gears and old spider gears, they fit but will not move freely.
At last I put old side gears in place with old and new washers to reduce free play. And then fitted old spider gears, but even this would not work. It didn't allow even two washers in place albeit there was so much play in gears. So my only choice was to put old parts back as they were. There is quite lot play in gears but at least they are all complete without visible damage.

Yes, I can now confirm that this kit does not work what is somewhat strange because:
- Side gears are perfect fit to diff chassis and drive axles
- Cross pin fits to old and new gears and to diff chassis

But gears do not fit with or without washers.
I even tried to use new side gears and old spider gears, they fit but will not move freely.
At last I put old side gears in place with old and new washers to reduce free play. And then fitted old spider gears, but even this would not work. It didn't allow even two washers in place albeit there was so much play in gears. So my only choice was to put old parts back as they were. There is quite lot play in gears but at least they are all complete without visible damage.
And that's how they fail. They get a lot of space between the gears and that slop allows the gears to get just enough of a "running start" that they will snap a tooth off. Then another and another until the small pinions are stripped. Just happened to mine about the first of the year. A friend here was generous enough to send me a four gear set and Vixen is back on the road. So be careful with it and take it easy on it.

-
Back