Valley Pan question

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
Hey, guys...

I was reading the Feb 2011 issue of MOPAR ACTION magazine "Tech Topics" section..

On page 89, a guy named Gregg asks a question about having a leaky valley Pan in his car.

He has a 440 engine in a 1970 Charger R/T. The engine has aluminum heads and aluminum intake manifold. He says that after he drives the car, he notices that oil has pooled in the valley pan and asks what could be its cause and what he can do to stop this from ocurring...

The answer, by Richard Ehrenberg, SAE, the magazine's Engineering Editor, comes back as: " Most likely you forgot to put pipe-thread compound on the bolts.."

Does this answer make sense to you guys..?

Is Mr. Ehrenberg talking about "anti-seize" pipe-thread compound..?

I'm asking because I have a similar (although Very Minor) oil pooling issue in the valley pan with my 383 in my Dart.

Thanx for your time.

The intake bolts go through an area of the heads that is open to the lifter valley of the engine. I guess his theory is that oil is making it's way up the intake bolts, and leaking out onto the valley pan. If thats true, then a thread sealer should stop it.

Yes, that's what he means. I use liquid teflon in the small bottles. You'll see small blocks with little puddles in the low areas near the bolt heads too. Same thing...

I don't use pipe compound. Regular househole pipe compound ain't high temperature rated. I like Permatex red silicone. It works GOOD.

-
Back