Valve Adjustment

-

ronw

Reaction score
What is the best or correct way to adjust valve lash on a big block sold lifter cam? Thanks Ron

If you're in a hurry, MP sells a chart that will call out what valve in what cylinder is in position every 90 degrees of rotation; OR you can do one cylinder at a time with intake closed, exhaust open, then exhaust closed intake open. Eather method works, just a matter of are you in a hurry or not.

Good luck, have fun.

Here's what I use.

[ame]http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/Valveadjustmentprocedure.pdf[/ame]

Quick way with a remote starter button- start on one side. When intake valve just closes, adjust exhaust valve. When the exhaust valve starts to open, adjust intake valve.
Should be able to adjust them in 15 minutes or less!

Mopar also uses a 4 position method. same thing,just goes 180° crank rotation and catches 2 intakes and 2 exhaust at a time.

I use the method momoparman uses (did last night ). Really I think any way you choose, as long as your consistent about using the same method and KEEP A LOG of what and when you did it. It took about 15 minutes to check them and maybe another 10min. To tinker with the couple i wasn't 100% happy with.

Just did mine like pete9897 explained.I took the plugs out and turned it by hand.

Quick way with a remote starter button- start on one side. When intake valve just closes, adjust exhaust valve. When the exhaust valve starts to open, adjust intake valve.
Should be able to adjust them in 15 minutes or less!

Just did mine like pete9897 explained.I took the plugs out and turned it by hand.

The chart works good but if you learn to do it the "pete" way you can do any engine, any firing order, and don't have to worry about a chart.

This is known as EOIC which stands for

Turn engine until EXHAUST just starts to OPEN and adjust that intake

Turn engine until INTAKE has opened and nearly CLOSED and adjust that exhaust.

You can even do this "one side at a time" which is how I usually do. Just go right down the row, bump engine as needed.

-
Back