Valve body selection

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK, I am in the market for a reverse manual valve body and need a bit of help selecting one. Dont want to break the bank, just looking for something to put behind my 451 70 Challenger with 3500 convertor, and 3:91's. I am looking at this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tac-17156/overview/, but unsure if there is something better out there.

Thanks

Been around Turbo Action a while,nice stuff.Hits hard.If you want milder,suggest a Transgo 3 in 1 kit.

Abody, thanks - Yes, open to suggestions, I will look at the Transgo 3 in 1 kit -

We have run the Cheetah rmvb in my car (bracket car) and in the Dakota (stock elim) and have had no problems over the past 5 years.

I have a cheetah rmvb that i bought in 1983...still used it last year...and will be using it again next year...

70 and Demon - Thanks, question, my plans are to take this to the strip occasionally, but primary duty will be cruising and playing, is the Cheetah too much for what I am looking for?

70 and Demon - Thanks, question, my plans are to take this to the strip occasionally, but primary duty will be cruising and playing, is the Cheetah too much for what I am looking for?
I,m swapping from a Trans-Go 3 FMVB now,to a Turbo Action RMVB in my racecar.Too bad your not useing a 904 as I could make you a deal for the FMVB and forward shift B&M Star shifter.

I,m swapping from a Trans-Go 3 FMVB now,to a Turbo Action RMVB in my racecar.Too bad your not useing a 904 as I could make you a deal for the FMVB and forward shift B&M Star shifter.
i thought those use the same valvebodies.....

Part no 17156,interchanges 904/727/998/999 non lockup.Reverse pattern.17680,full manual,904/727 forward pattern.Straight out of the Summit catalog.

Cazbah I'd highly suggest making sure you get a valve body with low band apply since it's a mostly street driven car. I might be wrong but I don't think the 17156 has low band apply. 727's have a nasty habit of exploding if the front drum is spun too fast and with no low band apply that can happen real easy. You can spend money on a billet front drum and super sprague to aleviate that problem or you can just buy a VB with low band apply but I would still recommend a bolt in sprague with it.

Fishy, thanks for the advice, I will look for one you are suggesting. Thank you

After a long debate and searching the forums I went with Cope Racing for my valvebody. Now I can not comment on it because it is still sitting on the workbench and will get installed sometime this winter. Low Band apply will be the most adivce youll recieve when it comes to a valvebody, and for good reason.

I went with a reverse manual pattern and coupled it with a billet low/rev servo kit which is said to be required by Cope Racing. Its a very nice looking cnc'd piece. Its sad they will go into the tranny not to ever be seen.

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/index.php?cPath=97_23&osCsid=0528f304333a80c56bdf1a1e86422287

John sells a very good valve body. You didn't go wrong. The billet rear servo is a must too. I even use them when I do a rebuild with a TF-2 shift kit as the stock servo is usually worn and can flip in the bore or crack.

-
Back