Valve Cover Bolts Aluminum VC

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
Trying to find a solution for my Offenhauser valve covers on the 383. The stock bolts are too short for the thicker cover and Moroso gasket. The mounting surface is also narrower than the factory bolt.

I need something longer and narrower, went to the Parts store and the Hardware store and no luck. I don’t want to use the T handle type, and that’s all I can find.

What did you use?

5A2E6A4A-867A-4167-8EEF-4DF921B7321E.jpeg

1/4 x 20 allen head bolts 3/4 to 1 inch long depending on the thickness of your gasket

I’m usually not a fan of Allen head bolts, but I think you are right, should have the profile I need.

You can probably find some reduced head hex bolts in 1/4-20. They're similar to header bolts. Or maybe some reduced hex head flange bolts. I'm sure ARP has options if you can't find them local. If it were me, I'd just head to the local hardware store, get some stainless cap screws to match the aluminum valve covers w/ some small OD washers, and call it a deal.

You can probably find some reduced head hex bolts in 1/4-20. They're similar to header bolts. Or maybe some reduced hex head flange bolts. I'm sure ARP has options if you can't find them local. If it were me, I'd just head to the local hardware store, get some stainless cap screws to match the aluminum valve covers w/ some small OD washers, and call it a deal.
I tried Home Depot with no luck, nothing short enough in 1/4-20. I’ll try Ace and Lowes next.

I tried Home Depot with no luck, nothing short enough in 1/4-20. I’ll try Ace and Lowes next.
It's not even worth trying Lowe's. Home Depot and Lowes are worthless for any hardware other than standard hex stuff. Do you have a better place in town? Ace may have options. Luckily my local place, "Supply Hardware" has rows and rows of hardware bins. I'd be SOL without that place.

Just get a valve cover stud kit. One and done.

It's not even worth trying Lowe's. Home Depot and Lowes are worthless for any hardware other than standard hex stuff. Do you have a better place in town? Ace may have options. Luckily my local place, "Supply Hardware" has rows and rows of hardware bins. I'd be SOL without that place.
I actually have a fastener warehouse about 20 miles from me. All of the local small stores mostly stock metric, and nothing under 1.5” so far in 1/4-20.

Are the nuts in that kit any smaller than the heads on the bolts you tried? I thought you said you needed smaller heads?
My thoughts on the studs initially. I don’t know, no one carrys this stuff in town so it’s hard to judge. Still going to the hardware store tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yea, those nuts in that kit are the same size as a bolt head. You need the 12 point ARP nut, or order some JET nuts.

MS21042 Style B Jetnut, All Metal Locknut - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
That might actually be ok, the issue I am having isn’t with the bolt head itself, but the washer. The issue is only with the stock valve cover bolt, which is too short to use anyway.

I know if I can find a short enough bolt at the hardware store, I’ll use a smaller washer and call it good.

I appreciate all the input. I’ve definitely learned a few things about valve cover mounting options, I’m glad I’m not stuck with the T handle type. I will update this thread when a solution is found.

The $7 stud kit worked. The only issue was the drivers side nearest to the radiator support. I had the bend the stud slightly.

06091C6E-9364-4C2B-ACA8-DD936F7B5069.jpeg

A0719B6A-B561-4119-9A28-46E68EBE2B5D.jpeg

ACF26BD3-C39F-49E7-B57A-C472A04C1B36.jpeg

EA3E789D-F374-462D-AA88-5BA2866BAA08.jpeg

B6DE6D15-3C13-427C-AEBF-716FD0E63D7D.jpeg

E9345EC8-4E95-4980-8EE4-181ECB105315.jpeg

I see you ignored my stainless recommendation. You got um bolted on though.

For future reference, I use Mcmaster Carr. The stuff from the hardware store usually sucks ***, IF it'll fit.

-
Back