Valvoline VR1 racing oil question

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I bought 6 quarts and two of them are different. What changed and should I run it or order two more and hope they match?

F53D9C88-0768-4879-BAE7-39D272582A51.jpeg

A7A426BE-36D6-42EF-873B-681799D92EB1.jpeg

0F578A45-4F19-4FCA-8637-82BE1E678BE2.jpeg

3E43E2D4-AF1B-4A78-8E99-62105ECBADDD.jpeg

I bought 6 quarts and two of them are different. What changed and should I run it or order two more and hope they match?

That would annoy me just a bit, but I wouldn't hesitate to run them together unless the engine requires the high zinc for a flat tappet cam.
If that is the case I wouldn't use the non high zinc.

I use VR-1 10w-30 in one of my Dusters. Good protection. I buy it by the case (6 qrts per case). Usually all the same in the case. However, I think you'll be ok using what you have.

Just as FYI - AMSoil has its Z-Rod synthetic in 10w30 and 20w50 with 1400ppm zinc and high phosphorous. Membership price about the same as name brand synthetic.

They had to order it in by the case so I had them swap out the other four. I now have 6 matching quarts of oil. I'm sure they hate me by now.

From my understanding and their spec sheets, all VR1 “Racing” oil is the high zinc. I’ve seen their “racing” oils quarts with varying stickers. Think it’s just for marketing.

They only have two kinds of “racing” (VR1) oil. Synth and non-synth

Just read an article from Engine Builders mag....SL still had 800 ppm zddp.... I stand corrected. It's SM that's devoid of zddp....

Ya. 800 -1100 seems to be the content level for the “high zinc” advertised products now.

US_VAL_VR1RACING_MO_EN.docx - SpringCM

They only have two kinds of “racing” (VR1) oil. Synth and non-synth

Motor oil now that have a ton of zinc (1200++) is tagged “for off road use only”. Least that’s what I seemed to notice when I was researching all this while back

I'm always afraid to comment on oil threads and questions... so many different opinions and experts (I'm on of those weirdos!)... as long as 540Rat doesn't get involved all is good!

I have a quart of $2.98 Resolute racing oil in stock... I'm going to send it in to be anaylized to see if it's better or worse than the name brands. Can't hurt, and if it's good, it will save me a bunch since I have a 9 qt. pan to drain every two weeks or so...

I'm always afraid to comment on oil threads and questions... so many different opinions and experts (I'm on of those weirdos!)... as long as 540Rat doesn't get involved all is good!

I have a quart of $2.98 Resolute racing oil in stock... I'm going to send it in to be anaylized to see if it's better or worse than the name brands. Can't hurt, and if it's good, it will save me a bunch since I have a 9 qt. pan to drain every two weeks or so...

I know what you mean. Lol

In a previous life I worked in rail transportation. Shipping primarily lubricants and waxes from refineries. You’d be surprised where big oil company A who had a “brand name” also shipped their lubricants.

Essentially - the only difference from brand X to brand Y is what additives they blend in. The stock is really all the same.

I know what you mean. Lol

In a previous life I worked in rail transportation. Shipping primarily lubricants and waxes from refineries. You’d be surprised where big oil company A who had a “brand name” also shipped their lubricants.

Essentially - the only difference from brand X to brand Y is what additives they blend in. The stock is really all the same.
And there are about three companies who make the additives...

Lubrizol invented zddp in 1941... Still in business I think. Don't remember the other companies but there are only a couple.

I got involved with a little of this stuff many years ago when a friend hired a local oil supplier to blend a racing oil for him. This company did custom blending and packaging for smaller oil jobbers and retailers. I learned a lot and have forgotten most if it!

VR-1 has always been advertised as the high ZDDP oil, so I was certain it was just the new bottle design (you know the type; same product different look) when I bought mine last. If you look at the first bottle in the third picture it also says it exceeds SL in the smaller print. I haven't seen the new blue labels, though, but probably will when I go buy them in a couple of months. The O'Reilly's near me usually stocks 10W30. For some reason they only put 20W50 on the shelves and keep 10W30 in the back.

-
Back