Vapor lock?

-

ronk4

Reaction score
I got a 360 in a 64 barracuda with a edelbrock 600. It was 95 degrees out and was expierencing cutting out when full or partial acceleration. I think it was vapor lock/ What are my options to cure this. Thanks Ronk4

If you are running the stock intake you can block off the crossover, put a phenolic spacer under the carb and route your fuel lines away from heat sources.

Nice avatar!!! Got an Edelbrock performer and the standard fuel pump. Gas line is moved away from carb as much as possible. Temp of fuel line after running for 45 min. was 145 deg. Would an elecrtic fuel pump be the answer along with the spacer?

electric pumps help...but most of the time that someone with one of our old mopars automatically assumes that it's "vapor lock" its actually attributed to something else...if it was 105 out, and the thing ran all day...then maybe, or if u cracked the gas cap and it made the whoosh sound, but make sure its not something stupid like a stuck needle and seat thats actually flooding the motor..or a power valve, or even something like a bad box/coil that may feel like a fuel problem.

if its truly vapor lock then yes an electric fuel pump will help a ton.

I put the 1 inch phenolic spacer in and now I,ve got to figure out which elec. pump to get. Any suggestions? ronk4

I installed a cheapy from NAPA, came with the filter and all the fixin's for about 40 bucks. Once the car is running I just flip the switch and turn it off.

As mentioned above, do you notice a vacuum situation when you release your gas cap.

if you are using an electric pump on a street car you should get a regulator that provides a return to the tank. You are pumping more fuel than you are consuming so the fuel in the line is heating up, for 2 reasons engine heat and heat from electric pump pumping and not being able to use all the fuel quick enough. on a race car its not really running long enough to worry about it.

Thanks again for all the info. It really helps. Ronk4

had that problem with my 440. i got the fel-pro gasket cross over block off gasket and pan kit, sience i had the intake off, i put a edl. performer rpm. intake and a phenolic spacer 2" and put on a 750 mighty demon carb. i no longer have the problem. drove the car to a car show the other day with no vapor locking. good luck.

-
Back